Cause of Crack in Laminate Countertop

I am remodeling a home, and I installed a new laminate kitchen countertop about 45 days ago that was 10 feet six inches long. Today I noticed a small 1/8 of an inch crack in the 1.5 inch strip that goes past the sinks that are installed in the countertop. (If one was washing dishes, the crack would be by the dishwasher's belt and away from the wall to which the counter was attached.) The kitchen has not been in use while I have been remodeling. Does anyone have any idea as to what could have caused the crack? Also, I doubt that there are any workarounds to the problem (the crack is fairly noticeable because of its location), if anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them becauae of course, I am not interested in installing a new countertop.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
DaileyJohn.20.decij

The wood underneath may be getting wet and expanding. Check this first.

Reply to
borgunit

Seriously doubt in that case it would be the problem...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I'd suspect a rough under-surface at the corner w/ perhaps a joint that has moved slightly w/ time. Perhaps there's been some settling.

What type laminate/surface finish/color? I'm unaware of any real patching technique for Formica-type laminates other than trying to match surface color w/ tinted caulks, etc.

I'd be looking at the counter top mounting, etc., to try to determine what went on as it may continue to move.

In that regard, what was the counter top material and how is it mounted/supported?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Duane,

The countertop was a Wilsonart Beige Pampas. Since I posted to the group, I noticed that there was a slight bowing down where the sinks were located. I think that and poor construction caused the problem. However, there were no cracks in the counter--only the laminate cracked. I did come up with a partial workaround. I had an old countertop that was two inches two small, and I will be using it. At the end where there will be a crack where it is joined with the remnant of the old countertop, I will cover the counter with decorative tile.

Thanks for your help.

JD

Reply to
DaileyJohn.20.decij

Yes, laminates are brittle and in my experience Wilsonart is about the brittle of the various manufacturers I have used.

You found precisely the type of situation I suspected--insufficient support at that weak point. When you install the other, be sure to have adequate support all around and especially at force concentration points such as the sink mount.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth