Cause of blue stain in toilet? Iodine?

I haven't cleaned my toilet bowl in about 2 months and I'm seeing this blue trail of a stain running out from the large jet in bottom of the bowl. I've never seen it before (and I've gone a lot longer than 2 monthes between cleanings in the past) so I'm just curious what might be causing it.
One thought that crossed my mind is that it could be signs of the iodine release from Japan, but I'm not sure if that's even possible to observe like this.

Have a plumber check pipes for bad connections for ground on copper pipes.
Greg

== Or if you are in a city that uses potassium permanganate in the water supply, they are adding too much. Have seen that happen. ==

I am on city water, but I'm not sure if they use it or not. I'll have to look that up.

Our electrical isn't grounded to the pipes. Actually, the line from the meter is PVC, and I don't think any of the house's copper even touches the ground anywhere.

It is likely from corroding copper. Better check before something is eaten through and leaking.
The blue from iodine is a complex between iodine (I2) and starch. Observe by moistening a wad of toilet tissue just a little, and then adding a drop of the brown iodine or povidine solution used for desinfecting wounds. You need real amounts of idoine for this, not the barely traces from Japan. Moreover, that would be iodine 131, which has a half-life of about 3 days. Since the last real dispersal from the reactors in Japan is more than amonth ago, there is nothing left from that I131. Official radioactive disposal rule for researchers: If you can safely store it for more than 13 halflives, you can dispose of it in the trash. Done that several times when I was working with P32 phosphate. Need to take care storing it of course - thich (plexi)glass for P32.
--
Best regards
Han

Copper corrosion caused by acidic water. Check the pH of you water.

Sure, anyting is possible. Buy some potassium iodide and a Geiger counter. <http://www.nukepills.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid# <http://www.odexo.com/products.php?product=TERRA%252dP-RADIATION-DETECTOR-DOSIMETER-GEIGER-COUNTER
Don't cheap-out here. Cost should not be a consideration.
It's for the children.

wrote Re Cause of blue stain in toilet?

Don't forget to check bananas. They're a rich source of potassium. A small proportion of natural K is radioactive. That is why for measurement of radioactivity one uses low background radioactive materials. One such material is low potassium glass vials ... etc etc.
--
Best regards
Han

I'll check the crawlspace for leaks next time I'm under there.
We have always had hard water, but I've never noticed any such evidence of acidity before. I guess I'll have to find some litmus paper somewhere.

Already got some nukepills, but $1,500 is a little bit too much for my current budget.

I'll check the crawlspace for leaks next time I'm under there.
We have always had hard water, but I've never noticed any such evidence of acidity before. I guess I'll have to find some litmus paper somewhere.

Already got some nukepills, but $1,500 is a little bit too much for my current budget.
On Sat, 07 May 2011 23:24:52 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

It's from the Tidy Bowel man.
Since I didn't see anyone else ask the obvious question... Is it possible that another resident of the house slipped a deodorizer into the tank without telling you?

Nope. I'm the only person that uses it.
I just checked, and the tank hardware if fine; everything is plastic anyway.
On Sun, 08 May 2011 19:54:34 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

Is your poop blue?
In wrote:

You're the only person, do you have smurfs?
On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:31:00 -0700, Larry Fishel wrote:

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: Cause of blue stain in toilet? Iodine? Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:22:14 +0000 (UTC) Organization: U-235 Lines: 14
On Sat, 07 May 2011 23:24:52 +0000, ShadowTek wrote:

It's from the Tidy Bowel man.
On 5/7/2011 6:24 PM, ShadowTek wrote:

I've seen a similar blue stain caused by a toilet bowl cleaner concentrate that sat in the tank for a long time with the potty not being used every day. The water in the tank was a very concentrated solution of the cleaner and water which was leaking past the flapper valve very slowly with the flush valve kicking in once a day or so to keep the tank full.
TDD
95 percent chance you have a faulty electrical ground, I've seen it numerous times....yourwelcome