Caulking question

Caulking in our bathroom, around the base of the tub & floor, and around the floor/walls in general, is either cracking or is missing in areas.

I read up on this before (in our previous place, an apartment) but never followed through since we were leaving for our new place (first house).

Correct me if i'm wrong, and please feel free to inform me further, but i think i need to remove the existing caulking with some kind of solvent? Then clean & dry the area, the apply the new caulk and let dry.

Is that right?

Reply to
Paul

If all the surfaces are tile, I could cut it away and scrape with razor blade scraper. Clean with denatured alcohol, then straight, full-strength bleach before putting in new caulk. Silicone caulk (unless surfaces are wood or painted).

Reply to
Norminn

Partially.

Remove with solvent, no...you can't dissolve it (AFAIK) so you need to physically remove it. Clean, dry and recaulk, yes.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yes, tile. Sounds good! Thanks!

Reply to
Paul

Gotcha (no solvent). Thanks!

Reply to
Paul

Might need special stuff if gaps are greater than about 1/8". Over

1/4", you need backer rod for sure.
Reply to
Norminn

Thanks for that! But I don't think there are any large gaps. But I'll measure to make sure.

what's "backer rod" ?

Reply to
Paul

Gotcha (no solvent). Thanks! I use a little tool from HD to finish it off. I have never been able to get it right with my finger.

Reply to
Ultraglide

By the way if you have a shower door with a track at the bottom do not caulk the side of the track inside the tub or shower pan. Water needs to drain out from under the track into the tub or pan. Unless you like floors to rot out.

Reply to
Art

Home depot, ace hardware, etc sell backerrod in the insulation department or near the caulk. It is cylinder shaped spongy material that you squeeze into large crevises and then caulk on top. Idea is you use less caulk plus caulk is attached to something flexible in back instead of something rigid.