Caulking between roof & siding

I need to caulk in a place where my garage roof meets the rest of the house's aluminum siding. Not sure whether to use the black goop made for roof repairs, or "other". I suspect the roof stuff won't cling dependably to the siding, and may even ooze off when the sun hits it. What's the right thing for this situation?
Doug Kanter wrote:

Are you talking about were the roof of a one-story garage meets the wall of a two-story house? If so, that should be flashed to keep out water, no caulk or other goop should be necessary. If you need to do this because of a leak, then don't fix it with caulk, you need to fix the flashing first.
Ken
I agree. TB

Right.
I agree. I haven't actually gotten really close to the junction yet - my ladder's about a foot too short to get up there. (New ladder tonight!) But, from what I can see, there appears to be NO flashing. It comes as no surprise, since the siding installation seems to have been a cob job to start with.
Doug Kanter wrote:

The roofers, not the siders, should have installed the flashing. So if any con-job artists are at work, it was the roofers.
Ken

The bastards. Now I have to work on it when I should be in church, also known (here) as fishing.
On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:15:55 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I'm assuming you don't have a fascia board or sophit??? Can you post a picture of this intersection?

Stay tuned. Might not get a chance to photograph it today, but I'll post one by tomorrow.
As has been said. Flashing is the key. Roofers say its the siding guys, siding guys say the roofers. Its the homeowners who get screwed. You may need to remove some of the siding then, if a shingled roof, you can use step flashing, then re-attached the siding.
Caulk may possibly help for a temp measure if you are getting water in. The black stuff is fine.