Caulking around trimming and crown molding

Hi,
I am in need of advice and good tips. Pointers to how-to's on the web would be nice too.
My townhouse is 10 years old. I was about to begin painting when I noticed that the trims and crown molding began to crack a lot. I was told I should remove the old caulking and put in new caulk. Any tips on how to do it? Also, I want to make sure that the new caulking lasts. Any good ones out there? I assume that they need to expand and contract very easily as it gets quite cold in the winter and quite hot in the summer here. Thanks, I am a novice at all this.
Phil
Phil wrote:

How wide are the gaps?
Is there a lot of difference in the humidity winter and summer?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

The gaps vary from 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. I agree with your comment on the humidity. So which brand is good to widthstand the varying environment? Also, I know that caulk is supposed to last 25 to 50 years. My neighbor had the same issues I had with the cracking. They removed the old caulking and put in some new caulking that was guaranteed for 30 years and after 6 months, cracking re-appeared.
Thanks in advanced for the info.
Phil
You are to worried about caulk and gaps, just reseal the area with Good caulk and go on with life...
Phil wrote:

I am sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but I was hoping that the answers to my questions would help others who may have the answer. I was afraid you were trying to calk a very large gap. It appears not, although an 1/8 might be pushing it. ;-)
You are going to need someone who works with the stuff more often than I do.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
just touch up bad areas with caulk , walke up , its only 10 yrs old , caulk lasts 40 - 50 yrs
As offensive as plastic moulding might be it won't move with humidity.
http://www.royalmouldings.com/Interior%20Products/RoomExamples.htm
RB