Caulking around shower face plate?

Long time reader, first time poster. After a nasty shower leak, we had a handyman completely redo our shower and subfloor. I watched him every step of the way and he told me how and why he did everything and the mistakes that the builders made (green wall instead of cement board, shower pan ripped because it leaned up against pipes, not enough blocking to keep shower pan supported). Overall, the shower is looking and working great.

One thing I had a question about though. It appears when he installed the new shower faceplate, there is no caulk around the edges. The plate sits very flat against the tile as it should but there is probably a tiny entry where the grout is set lower than the tiles. There does appear to be a weep hole at the bottom of the faceplate, as though it expects moisture to get through. I wasn't sure if this should be caulked with silicon, much like the shower door itself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Adam

Reply to
adam.blaiss

I don't caulk or silicon mine, makes it easier to service the unit

Reply to
JGolan

It absolutely should be caulked all around, prior to being set in place. Leave the weep hole on the bottom, open.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

One reason that it is not caulked is that there is a gasket under the face plate that serves as the seal to prevent water from leaking into the wall. Another reason, if you caulk around the face plate it will eventually peal off. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Yep, a gasket should be all that is needed.

Reply to
RayV

Hey everyone...just wanted to thank you all for the replies. I can rest easier knowing my shower won't rot out again and my handyman knows what he's doing. Thanks again!

Reply to
Felder71

MLD & RayV...we have a difference of opinion (a good thing, me thinks)

That little gasket is inadequate. It is cheap and made of open cell foam. It will NOT prevent water from entering the wall space and, once wet, is prone to unseen mold and mildew. I recommend a good grade of silicone caulk. Clean all surfaces before applying and it should last for many years.

Reply to
Craven Morehead