Caulk tube saved for next time

Yesterday, I went to do a home repair (apologies for being on topic!) and needed caulk. The tube of silicone I used last time, I'd covered the nozzle with a good wrap of electrical tape. Naturally, the tube was solid silicone. So, I cut open a new tube. What a waste.

What are some of the tried and successful techniques for saving a caulk tube till the next time?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would silicone on a big wire nut, but pay attention to the expriation date, by the time you reach the date its probably not good, buy tubes by buying the earliest date, I had few new tubes that never cured. If the smell doesnt make me gag then I know its not fresh. But resealing doesnt always work, and use it fairly soon.

Reply to
ransley

Dip the cut nozzle into some Plastic Dip or equivalent. It forms an airtight seal, is easily removed simply by peeling it away, and does not contaminate the caulk. If you use a bright color of Plastic Dip, you can see at a glance from a distance if the tube has been opened before. I have used the technique on silicone, acrylic, and specialty types of caulk and have had no problems with tubes of caulk over a year old.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron