Caulk for glass and ceramic tile?

I have a cooktop mounted into a ceramic tile countertop. I have caulked it several times but after several months the caulk comes loose. I clean the surfaces with detergent and then with rubbing alcohol. I use silicone caulk.

Is there a better way for me clean the surfaces? Is there a caulk that would be better for this use? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

rubbing alcohol sometimes has traces of oils in them. try using acetone instead.

Reply to
chaniarts

I have some 70 percent and some 99 percent rubbing alcohol. Is the

99 percent less likely to have oil in it? Is there any way I can test my rubbing alcohol to see if it has oil in it?

Am I correct in assuming that nail polish remover would not be good for this use?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Good grief! Oil in rubbing alcohol? Can't be enough to matter. I keep denatured alcohol on hand for solvent/degreasing. Nail polish remover normally does have some oil to counteract the drying effect on nails; it's not a great solvent to use on paintable surfaces.

Reply to
Norminn

yes.

from wikipedia:

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol USP/B.P. contains 68?99% of isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) by volume, the remainder consisting of water, with or without color additives, suitable stabilizers, and perfume oils.

99% doesn't usually have the additives that the 70% does.
Reply to
chaniarts

When you rug the skin, the oil helps it from drying out. Most alcohols do not contain oil but attract moisture, ok with silicone type 1 .

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Leave the alcohol dry and see what's left. A good degreaser, Greased Lightning....

Greg

Reply to
gregz

True rubbing alcohol has oil. Citrus degreasers leave oil too. Beware.

Greg

Reply to
gregz