Caulk around shower?

Hi all, I'm remodeling my bathroom and had the pros put in a new shower leaving the edges exposed. I've drywalled around the edges but I'm not sure what the best way to join the drywall to the shower edge is. The only options I know of is to use mud to smooth out the edges, or to use thick caulk to try to smooth it out.
Any help would be great!