Caught: Lowes Price Chicanery

Page 2 of 2

$24 * 1.06 = $25.44
If he paid $25/roll then he actually owes Lowe's $0.44 per roll. I'm assuming he was just approximating the $25.

This is a verypossible scenario. Supermarkets do it al the time. I watch the prices of items we buy on a regular basis and often they re increased for the sale. The sale may still be less that normal, but not as much as stated.
Look at tools or electronics on Amazon.com. They offer a 40%, 50% or even more discount off of the "list" price, not what it really sells for at any other retail store.
Note from Jack (original poster)
Knowing full well I was not a Mathmetician, and standing in the aisle at Lowes at 9:30pm after a hard day, and debating with myself whether it was 25% off, or 33% off.. and finding it possible to make an internal argument for both.. I finally figured out through good old fashioned common sense what I should have paid:
I was buying 16 rolls. with a 4 for 3 deal I should have been paying for 12 rolls. I multiplied 12 times the sticker price(+tax), and decided that is what I should have paid. The "percent off" was irrelevant at that point.
I showed my math to the store manager, he concured, and gave it to me for that price. As I said I was using aproximate numbers, since I don't have reciept with me.
I left satisfied. The local store folks did the right thing, my post was about whether the folks at corporate level had raised the price, just to then offer a "sales price".
On 08/22/06 10:36 am Jack wrote:

I have often been very grateful for this Michigan law, especially at Best Buy, where I have often found items on the shelf with price stickers considerably lower than the currently advertised price (in addition to other identical items priced higher than the currently advertised price).
I think that they must affix price stickers reflecting the price when the stock arrives or when it is put on the shelf, even when it's only a "temporary price drop" (or whatever term BB uses), and they forget to change the stickers later. I've saved big bucks on such things as hard disks (especially since BB seems to have abandoned mail-in rebates in favor of instant rebates).
But in general, yes, I think that all stores sometimes raise the "original price" from which they are offering a discount.
Perce

Having worked in retail for over 25 years, I can tell you that it is common practice. Especially at Sears. And watch out for the sale prices when a store closes. Was working at a Sears Hardware when they were closing most of them. They hired a "close out specialty" firm to handle the closing. Almost all items were cheaper the day before the close out started. I was discussing this with the man who was handling the sale. I mentioned that I had lived in Arizona when the Home Base chain went out of business and the state and the media had a field day with the way they had actually raised prices instead of lowering them. He said he was familiar with that as that was were he got his start doing the closeouts. As P.T. Barnum said.....
Tom G.

No, you buy three you get three and they give you a 4th no additional cost. It is 0% off the first three and 100% off the last one. If you use strict pricing then if you buy two you get nothing off if you buy three you are entitled to a forth one free, but if you only want three then you pay full price for the three. If you by any number devisable by four then you get 25% off what the total would have been without the sale.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Here in Canada, Sears got hauled into court, for selling tires at a discount off a "regular price" that they could not prove that they ever sold one tire at. They were convicted and had to pay a huge fine.

EXT wrote:

Here in Ohio (south of Canada) I worked at Lazarus department store back in the good days when a Lazarus family member ran the show. On day over 30 years ago the word came down that the law had changed and regular price had to be a price at which a real sale had taken place. Anyone responsible for allowing an add to run or sign displayed that violated this rule would be an ex-employee. There were a few close calls, but we played it clean. We may have recommended a product that we would not have normally as it might not have been a good buy at the regular price, but we knew that it was going on sale the following week and we would call to let the customer know they could have a refund of the difference.
However the case in point, Lowes was correct.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Jack wrote:

Yeah, I bought more electrical stuff than I needed. Took the overage back to Lowes.
They gave me $11.30 for $8.20 worth of stuff.
When I called it to their attention, they carefully examined the original receipt and the return voucher. They concluded that the price of the stuff I was returning went UP in the intervening week. "Keep the change," they said.
"Jack" wrote in message

They still got you. Forget percentage. Buy 3, get 1 free was the ad. Price per advertised "marked" roll was $32 per, times you bought 12 rolls, you get 4 free = $384.00
They charged you $25 per roll times 16= $400.00
You over paid $16.00

The 25 bucks includes sales tax. He didn't overpay.
"TakenEvent" wrote

Actually, I missed the OP's other post where he said
"I was buying 16 rolls. with a 4 for 3 deal I should have been paying for 12 rolls. I multiplied 12 times the sticker price(+tax), and decided that is what I should have paid. The "percent off" was irrelevant at that point."
Which is the same I was implying.
<...snipped...>

<...snipped...>
By my arithmetic, "buy 3, get one free" is 25% off. Even so, 25% of $32 should still have been $8 off.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

As it was.