cats vs. motion sensors

Page 2 of 2

I'm with you. The day I have to lock my doors is the day I sell the house. I just don't get security systems. Try moving to someplace safe.

Like Canada?

LOL.

There anren't many places in the US where it is considered "safe" to not lock doors. There are plenty where it is considered stupid.

I put a motion sensor light on my barn to save power, and to avoid tripping on a step that goes to the door. Now the light goes on and off all night long from my 12 barn cats going in an out to get some cat food or whatever else they do in there. So, once again I turn off the switch all the time. I even aimed the sensor high so it would not be activated from movement at ground level. That did nothing to solve the problem. I think motion sensors are useless with pets, and even if I didn't have cats, wild animals like coons turn the light on too.

I recently had a new system installed by ADT. They claim the motion sensors don't notice animals under 40 pounds. So far so good with three small dogs and two cats running around the house.
Steve B.