Cats keep turning on light switch

Page 1 of 2
I have a shed on my farm where I keep rabbit cages and other small animals. When the barn cats are pregnant they get moved in there because otherwise something always kills the kittens. One (or more) of the cats in there climbs the post next to the door and keeps turning the light switch on and off. I used to think some person was not shutting it off until I saw the cat turn it on, and then just when I was going to go in there to shut it off, the cat turned it off. I must admit I do have a weird cat. Is there anything that I can buy so make the switch so the cat cant get to it. My electric bill is high enough. I know they make keyed switches, but I also know I'll never remember to keep the key on me, and if I hang it in there I'll have a hassle finding it in the dark, or the cats will knock it down. I also know they make things that go on a screw to make a switch inoperative, but I am not going to keep unscrewing it. I just need something that where they cant flip it, but I can. I was thinking of those small fuse holders (normally used on furnaces) where there is a small metal box over the fuse. But I never saw those made for switches. That would be ideal if they made them. (unless the cat figures out how to open that too).....
Any ideas?
By the way, I know someone is going to comment about keeping cats and rabbits together. No, the cats dont hurt them. The rabbits are in cages, and the cats know they belong there. Sometimes the rabbits get out of cages and they usually scare the cats away from them if they do anything at all. The cats will eat rabbit pellets though, which is rather odd since the pellets are just compressed alfalfa and ground up vegetable matter. Like I said, weird cats....
thanks
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 13, 6:46 am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I think there are childproofing things to prevent kids from doing this. *might* work for cats! :) Try the baby section!
KD
Add pictures here
✖

They make a small metal strap that screws over a toggle switch to prevent accidental operation of the switch. I have no idea what they call them, but any electrical supply should carry them
Add pictures here
✖

Duct tape. Put a piece over the switch. When it loses it's stick, put on another.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

there are turn switches too..........
or put a box around the switch so the cat can longer reach the switch
Add pictures here
✖

And another few pieces for the cats.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 13, 5:46 am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Assuming this isn't a troll...
Get one of these. If your cats figure out how to use it, run away.
http://www.kilianhardware.com/pusbutswit.html
Or...
Turn the toggle switch upside down. When they think they're turning it on, it will go off and vice-versus. That should freak 'em out a bit.
Add pictures here
✖
That would not stop any cat I know. One of my cats has figured out how to open latched doors (with the lever type locks) when ever he wants in. I believe one of the child proof things would be the best bet, but since the OP is a farmer, duct tape will likely be the solution used.
wrote: ..

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
✖

They can indeed figure things out. One I had would open screen door from outside (swing out). He would actually very gently hook screen and pull. Even so, after a while the screen got a small hole. So I attached a small piece of thick rope where the bottom of the screen met the wood door. Used it right off. Worked better for him and me.
This same cat, like all, liked to sit and look out sliding glass door. But when he wanted to go out he would look around to see if I was looking and, if so, just tap his paw on the glass. If he did not tap his paw when at the door and you opened it, he would not go out.
Maybe not a matter of how smart they are. Just a matter of how good a trainer they are!
Add pictures here
✖

Replace the cover plate on the switch that you have with one that has a spring-loaded door. Replacement is a 5-minute job and you can find various cover plates with doors at any hardware electrical department. They're used for outdoor wiring.
TKM
Add pictures here
✖

Cute! Well, you've had several good suggestions. Pending if you want to spend a little money, or just use duct tape. If you make the duct tape in a circle so it's 'sticky side out' on all sides then tuck that around, the cats wont like touching it.
If that doesnt work for you, saw a post long ago about a fellow with a somewhat similar problem (was a dog). He wasnt worried about looks and was looking for something free. He cut off the top 2 inches or so of a 1 quart plastic milk jug and taped that over the switch. His finger fit in but the dog couldnt nose it on and off.
Add pictures here
✖
asked:

That's what we do when we want either of my two toms to leave something alone. They _hate_ the "feel" of the duct tape and they can't simply yank it off whereever we've placed it. Now, if I get out the roll, simply stripping a piece off will send both running for their favorite under-couch hidy-hole.

Interesting idea.
The Ranger
Add pictures here
✖

A weatherproof cover would probably work and it won't make your life too difficult. You would just flip open the door to operate the switch.
A substitute for what RBM suggested would be a two hole pipe strap. You would just attach it to the existing wall plate using the existing screws or slightly longer 6/32 screws. I forget what pipe size is close to the proper dimension. Maybe 11/4" or 11/2".
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

In the winter when food is scarce rabbits become very aggressive!
Add pictures here
✖
Forget the toggle type switch. Change the plate to a rectangular opening and get one of the pushon/off switches. The cat would have a hard time pushing in hard enough to turn the light on.

Add pictures here
✖
Jim L wrote:

my thought too, leviton contura switch.
- larry/dallas
Add pictures here
✖
perhaps a rotary switch. maybe even a decora would do the trick.

✖
On Apr 13, 4:46 am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Maybe remount the switch box sideways? Might take the critters a bit of time to figure that one out. Or put a stretched out conduit clip over the toggle. HTH
Jpe
Add pictures here
✖

Or they make switches that toggle sideways. Pretty common.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in

What a long story.