Catch Basin/Grease Trap Lid repair

Hello,

I have an in-floor grease trap lid that needs repair. The bolt holes are stripped and one eyelet hole for the lid has broken off. Please recommend any "Do it yourself" resources for me to use to re-tap the the bolt holes and "weld" the eyelet back on the lid.(Lid is cast iron. House was built in

1940's. Or, if anyone can suggest an alternate means of securing the lid I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Ken

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Ken

If it really can be reapired you would need some welding equipment minimum and a sand blaster would be nice to clean it up. You should check the yellow pages for a blacksmith ing, they are getting rare but would be exactly what you need. If you aren't already experienced in welding, then it probably isn't a job for you. While you're at ti, check the Y pages for Welder as well.

I guess the alternative would be to dig up and replace the old trap with a new one at great effort.

Reply to
Pipedown

Brazing would probably be a better option, both to reattach the broken cast piece, as well as to fill the stripped holes for redrilling and retapping. Potentially DIYable with one of the little Oxy-Mapp setups, though Oxy-Acetylene would be better.

As another option, a filled epoxy like JB-Weld would probably be adequate for filling the stripped holes since there isn't much load on those bolts. JB-Weld is DIY, and you could take the cover to a local welding shop for them to reattach the broken piece. Would save an on-site welding / brazing trip and associated cost if you're not up to doing the work yourself.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ken,

Google "heli-coils". These are sold at auto parts stores and are used to fix stripped bolt holes. I've no idea about the eyelet without seeing it but wonder if an epoxy will do the trick.

Dave .

Reply to
David L. Martel