Catalytic converters on weed trimmers

"[WASHINGTON] The Environmental Protection Agency yesterday tightened emissions standards for new gasoline-powered lawn mowers, weed trimmers and boat engines, reducing the amount of smog-causing pollution these motors will be allowed to emit. In adopting long-delayed rules that will require small gas engines to have catalytic converters like those that have been installed in cars since 1975..."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/04/AR2008090403373.html?hpid=moreheadlines
Catalytic converters, smaller than those used on automobiles, should add no more than $600.00 to your average lawnmower or weed trimmer.
Add pictures here
✖

My new Stihl string trimmer has one. Whole thing cost about $250. Granted, that's 2x what my old Ryobi cost, but it's 10x the quality. Converter doesn't seem to make much difference.
Ventless "spill proof" gas cans really piss me off. Obviously designed by an environmentalist who's never actually used a gas can. It's impossible to use one without gas spilling everywhere. What was the big deal with the separate vent?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 5, 10:38 am, The Reverend Natural Light

I see a real opportunity in restoring existing lawn equipment. I better buy a couple 4 stroke weed eaters before the price goes up. I seem to get about 4 years out of them before it is more work to keep them running than it is worth. I will however be more diligent in maintaining them, no more delayed oil changes ( only takes a handful of oil anyhow).
Add pictures here
✖
Has one what? Not a cat converter.

✖
On Sep 5, 12:48 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Yes. It has a catalytic converter.
Add pictures here
✖

It wont add much to he cost, I just paid 300$ for a toro 6.75 lawnmower, in 1973 the same toro with a 3.75hp and smaller deck cost me 375, so why complain, Lawn equipment pollutes 30x as much as a car, catalytic converters are needed. The lawn equipment lobyists have fought this for years so I hope it goes through.
Add pictures here
✖
But, if it saves just ONE life! Can you measure in dollars, the life of a snail darter, sparrow, or pukle picker? Think of the baby seals! It's for the good of the nation, and of the planet. Remember your Mother Earth, we have only one planet. And, so, the cliches will roll forth from the environmentals.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sometimes the emphasis is completely misguided.
Years ago, the organizers of a "Texas Chili Cook-off" were complaining to the city council about all the foolish regulations being imposed upon them by the city's health and safety director.
"Can you give us an example?" asked one city councilman.
"Sure. They want us to do all our cooking in covered areas, like tents. It gets powerful hot cooking chili in a tent!"
"Is that true, Mr. City Health Inspector?"
"Yes," said the health inspector. This regulation is designed to prevent contaminants from getting to the food, such as insects."
"That's what he don't understand," said the chili man. "We PUT insects in the chili! Ain't nothin' adds zest like a few fire ants!"
"[!] I give up, I truly do," replied the health inspector. "Do whatever you want. I'm outta here."
Add pictures here
✖

Just buy battery powered tools. Far more convenient.
Add pictures here
✖
Cadmium, lead....
--