Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

Page 2 of 3

On 9/12/2010 5:21 PM, aemeijers wrote:

What do you do with your car when you drive it to work or to a store or when visiting friends?
On 9/13/2010 9:00 AM, George wrote:

I stay out of crappy neighborhoods, especially after dark. If your area of your city qualifies as crime-ridden, that is a hint to move elsewhere. It simply isn't a major concern. I got my car broken into several times at work 20+ years ago, so I started getting there early so I could get a spot inside the secure perimeter. I moved out of the apartments that were going section-8 to get away from people like that. Only been broken into at a shopping center once, and they were idiots- used a slap-hammer on the hatchback, when the doors were unlocked. Knock on wood, haven't been a crime victim in over 5 years, since I moved to this blue-collar subdivision with the nosy retirees and the dogs. (Only downside is I have to sit outside on Halloween to pass out candy, because a single guy in a house still gets the fisheye from 'normal' people.)
--
aem sends...

Try a bullet hole in a prominent front facing window. I inadvertently lauched a wayward slug through my 2nd story bedroom window overlooking my street side garage/driveway. Only had one theft of two unsecured stainless steel kegs. My fault, as I left them in plain sight. Other than that, no probs in 10 yrs, despite living half a block from a high school.
People used to ask, "Is that a bullet hole?" "Yes", I'd reply. "How did it get there?", they'd invariably follow with. "Kinda makes ya' wonder, don't it!", was my final word on the subject. Worked infinitely better than that lame old sign, "This property protected by Smith and Wesson". ;)
nb

Bingo! Moved from SFBA to rural CO Rockies. Shoulda done it 30 yrs ago. Between Fido and Ruger, no one touches cars parked outdoors. ....and I haven't heard a single car alarm in 3 yrs.
nb
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:30:47 -0400, "First of One"

What the bloody fuck does that have to do with preventing catalytic converters?
--
http://desertphile.org
Desertphile wrote:

Well, a Senate committee is part of the group that mandated we have catalytic converters in the first place. If not for them, this conversation would not be taking place...

The federal Clean Air Act was amended by Congress in 1973 to mandate catalytic converters for all 1975 model-year cars. There was talk of delaying the imposition for a year or two past 1975, to give automakers a change to better develop catalytic converters, but they actually delayed it until 1981 (IIRC).
Honda's CVCC system was much more cost-effective than, and just as effective as, a catalytic converter, but with the imposition of the cat law, Honda halted further development of CVCC, since it suddenly became a legal dead-end.
Cats remain mandatory to this day.
--
Tegger

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:18:09 -0500, "HeyBub"

Ah, that's 100% true. :-) Okay, I concede the fact that legislators cause catalytic converter theft. We should put them in prison.
--
http://desertphile.org

<...snipped...>
<...snipped...>
Yes, after installing the cable lock kit make sure to only park where thieves do no have access to cable cutters.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Same old thing, druggies need $$$, crooks [read auto parts 2nd hand dealers] need 'stock'!
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:05:55 -0700, SMS

Yeah.
Put air shocks to lift the vehicle a foot, with a electromagnetic release that allows the vehicle to drop suddenly. Then add a trip wire to the catalytic converter. Hang the trapped meat on a hook as an example.
--
http://desertphile.org

there are shields sold to prevent converter theft.
(I've thought that the lowrider approach would prevent wheels from being stolen and prevent installation of the "Denver boot" or from being towed if parked illegally.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not because of catalytic converter thefts, but scrap dealers around here are now required to get positive ID (as much as a thumb print, so I'm told) from anyone who brings in scrap. Much noise was made about a few who were caught with the guts from heat pumps and the incidence has fallen off sharply. String 'em up and post their heads on a pike; few will follow.

Like all anti-theft measures, all you can expect to accomplish is to get the perp to pick on someone else.

Move to a neighborhood with a better class of thief. Say, next to your congresscritter or Mafia don.
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:31:32 -0500, AZ Nomad

I hope the damage was insured. :-) Dogs probably make the best anti-theft devices for cars, but I suppose most people on the planet can't have dogs guarding their cars.
I sleep in my car at night. Anyone who steals the Tahoe also steals me.
--
http://desertphile.org
Trip wire & a taiser might work or 220 & ground wire. Fry the bastards. Or a sheet of 3/4 ply with roofing nails. Me ,I,have a pit bull.

In my state, Texas, vehicle inspection costs about $35 (assuming nothing is wrong). We've got about 17 million vehicles in the state, so that works out to be about $600 million changing hands each year.
Our Department of Public Safety attributes highway accidents as follows: 3% - Defective equipment (i.e., brakes fail) 3% - Road condistions (i.e., "Bridge Out!") 94% - Driver error
So we spend more than a half-billion dollars to keep the "defective equipment" number at a nominal 3%.

No, you haven't. Three percent of your accidents are *still* attributable to defective equipment. You have wasted half a Big one, though. .

There are 49 other states that will take their used stuff, cheap.
On 9/14/2010 7:03 AM, keith wrote:

I assure you it would be like "The Cash For Clunkers" where perfectly good cars and trucks would be ruined so as to make the parts unusable.
TDD