cat urine under deck

I don't know how to get rid of such a smell except time and ventilation. I think you should be able to exclude the cats from under the deck with a lattice perhaps reinforced with wire. Then maybe put a big fan down there to bring in fresh air and remove the old.
I live in the sticks and these neighbors of mine allow these half-wild cats to live and breed in an old unused trailer house, they might feed them occasionally. I think it kind of stinks myself but I dont' say anything cause It's not my business.
Once I found a dead cat under my house when I was working under there and it freaked me out. It was stiff as a board. I asked the neighbor if she had one like that and she said no but I doubt if she even knows how many or what king of cats she has out there. It just sucks.
Occasionally one will stray onto my place and my dogs will chase them into a tree. A lot will shoot cats that wander onto their place and it is legal here. I won't shoot a cat myself.
I have two real nice cats who live inside with me and even sleep on the bed. They go outside if they want but they like it inside quite well. One time I put up a post in the cat lovers group and they flamed the hell out of me!
The real cat lovers don't ever let theirs outside but so far it's working for me. Here's a real cool pic of my one cat, Donny.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223/lwhaley22000/P1100005.jpg
Lawrence wrote:

How do you feel about people who have bird feeders?
The worst are those gob-smocked hummingbirds!
Wring their feathered necks if I could catch them.
Spread warts, they do.

I don't mind if folk feed the birds though I do not. This should be obvious but birds are wild animals and domestic cats are not and a different standard of care is required. Domestic animals are dependent upon us for their care and deserve a standard of care which is known as humane. A person can be arrested and imprisoned for not providing this standard so it seems to be rather well accepted.
People do sometimes create problems when feeding birds. If they don't keep the feeders clean they can kill more birds than they help when the feeder becomes diseased. Regular cleaning is required since one visit from a sick bird is all it takes. Also lots of bird poop can build up on and around the feeder causing problems if its not cleaned regularly. Most folk think their doing the wildlife such a big favor by feeding them that they don't feel compelled to keep the feeder clean.
I wish I could say they were taking care of cats that had wandered onto the place but that's not it. These neighbors used to keep the cats properly but decided they didn't like the trouble so they abandoned them out there to fend for themselves. The cats out there live a short brutal life where they are diseased, hungry, and in physical danger their entire live. Domestic cats deserve better treatment, my opinion.
Wild critters only use feeders as a supplement to their diet and studies have shown that when feeders are removed they return directly to natural feeding and mortality is mostly unchanged.
I don't tell them or anyone else how to care for their animals since it's not my business. I just think they could do a better job. Some people feel it's more humane to shoot the cats then to allow them to continue to breed future generations of unwanted cats. Trap and spay is a better option to me. I won't shoot a cat.
I volunteer at af animal shelter and the surplus of cats is overwhelming that shelter there and apparently everywhere. Every cage is alway full. What is going on can only be described as a holocaust of dogs and cats since uncounted number are put down every day. It's a real nightmare to me and to other animal lovers.
Though these neighbors are essentially good folk and are friends of mind I do think they could do better by these cats. Their dogs live inside and are cared for, why not the cats? Sure it cost money to spay but they seem to have enough money for other things I would consider less necessary. I usually don't respond when people bait me but had a few extra moments today. Good day.

That study doesn't sound right to me.
The number of birds in an area is directly related to the amount of food and shelter. In areas where there is shelter but not enough food, a feeder will increase the bird population and when the feeding is stopped, the birds have to starve.
The way I see it, the purpose of a feeder is to bring birds closer to places where we can see and enjoy them.
I don't have a bird feeder right now but I do have a butterfly bush. It's not there for the butterflys, it's there because it's nice to watch the butterflys and it's an attractive bush.
Sure, we mess with nature all the time. That's our nature.
On Feb 19, 10:26 am, Dan Espen <dan>

Yes populations are directly related to the resources available. That is NATURAL RESOURCES, not feeders. Natural sources of food and shelter are far, far in excess of that provided with birdhouses and feeders. Birds have adapted for thousands of years to these natural resources and are genetically programmed to seek them. It is these natural resources that dominate the birds feeding and reproduction.
Studies of banded birds have shown that feeders make up a tiny, tiny percentage of what the overwhelming majority of birds take in from natural sources. Most birds who visit the feeder are only supplementing their natural diet. When feeding stops they immediately return to natural sources or they do what birds do, they fly south.
Bird can live short lives and some starve every winter regardless of whether there are feeders or not. Yes there are exceptions but the people who study birds all agree. Feeders are for our pleasure alone and almost nothing is gained in the overall survival of the entire bird population.
There are a few birds, of course, who are exceptions and who will die if you don't feed them. That bird probably is unable to migrate or otherwise search for food for some reason and would likely have died anyway without reproducing.

I'm not finding these studies.
Any suggestion on keywords or even a link?
Ok, I tried adding "banded" and hit these:
http://www.birdwatching.com/tips/birdfeedingwinter.html
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek030101.html
Neither is a study. I remain unconvinced.
A large, unlimited supply of food is unlike anything else in these birds environment.
On 17 Feb 2007 20:57:13 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Would casting a light layer of Lime under the deck work.....?
Perhaps, Ammonia and water mixture.......?
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi, No dogs there?
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 03:41:44 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Just us: http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.html
Pellet gun will take care of cats. Then spray some deodorizer

replying to denaman, catlitter101 wrote: I remember years ago, when my cat was using dirt under deck for a litter box, a friend suggested I rake in a bag of powdered lime....worked great. I am having same problem at my new home. I plan on doing it again.
replying to denaman, catlitter101 wrote: I remember years ago, when my cat was using dirt under deck for a litter box, a friend suggested I rake in a bag of powdered lime....worked great. I am having same problem at my new home. I plan on doing it again. I need to add this. Some lime is safe, some isn't. Go to eHow.com and search, Is Lime Fertilizer Poisonous to Animals? Seems that Gypsum (calcium sulphate) is safe.