Cat urine smell

Page 1 of 3
We had a tenant move out of our rental property. He had one kitten for mayb e the last 6 months of his occupancy. The basement totally reeks of cat pis s.. we went over the basement with a black light to no avail. we saw maybe 1 or 2 suspicious areas. We mopped with Odoban twice. Sprayed Natures Mirac le 3 times.. The smell is less than it was, but it is still there.. most of the basement is linoleum tile, and one small area is bare concrete. But, w e can not find the definitive area(s) with the blacklight.. (Unlike the hou se we live in.. so it's not like we blind or something) There was urine so aked card board boxes when he left, but they have been removed out of the b asement for weeks.
any ideas? I have bee thinking of not spraying the natures miracle but just pouring straight on the floor and scrubbing it in and covering with plasti c to keep it working for a day..

iss.. we went over the basement with a black light to no avail. we saw mayb e 1 or 2 suspicious areas. We mopped with Odoban twice. Sprayed Natures Mir acle 3 times.. The smell is less than it was, but it is still there.. most of the basement is linoleum tile, and one small area is bare concrete. But, we can not find the definitive area(s) with the blacklight.. (Unlike the h ouse we live in.. so it's not like we blind or something)  There was urin e soaked card board boxes when he left, but they have been removed out of t he basement for weeks.

tic to keep it working for a day..
Contact the tenant and ask him where the kitten went to urinate. Any closets or darkish corners??
contacting him is not really possible.. he is on the run from a collection agency and child support.. he bolted out with no notice.. the smell is conc entrated in the front room of the basement. its dark, and thats were we thi nk the cat was going to town. He was always hanging out in the window of th at room, and there is a ton of hair in that area..
Chris:
Well, you're going about solving the problem correctly. Most people aren't aware that the urine of all mammals fluouresces under ultra violet light, but the fluorescence is not intense, like a 1960's Jimi Hendrix poster, but really quite faint. And, I've heard a lot of good things about Nature's Miracle, so you're using the right cleaner, too.
However, the problem MIGHT be that the black light source you're using isn't powerful enough to make the dried urine fluorecsce sufficiently to make it noticable. I would phone around to the places listed under "Janitorial Equipment & Supplies" in your yellow pages phone directory to see if any of those places in your area rents black lights. You should also try the Party Supply places because black lights are a popular item for Haloween parties. The tool rental places are worth a try, too. And, if push comes to shove, most professional carpet cleaning contractors will have a black light, and I'm sure that for a fee they will come out and point out the urine stains to you.
Just in the same way as this Q&A forum caters to DIY'ers, there is a web site that caters to the Janitorial Services sector of the economy, and it has a Q&A forum where you'll be able to talk with professional cleaning contractors who would be more knowledgable about removing pet urine stains and odors:
'Cleanfax - The #1 information source for carpet cleaning & restoration professionals.' (http://www.cleanfax.com /)
That web site is owned by CM Magazine, which is a trade publication for the commercial building cleaning industry, but the content of the web site is heavily weighted toward carpet and upholstery cleaning. Many carpet cleaning contractors hang around on that web site, and all of them would have had experience dealing with pet urine stains and odors. You may have to register on that web site to post on their Q&A forum.
--
nestork

On 5/1/2013 10:00 PM, nestork wrote:

perhaps your light isn't the correct wavelength. when i use my scorpion finding light on cat urine, it fluoresces a LOT.
it's probably migrated. under the tiles, baseboards. if it hung out in the windowsill, then perhaps down between the window and wallboard, if it's not sealed. it may have soaked into the wallboard, and not fluoresce because it's not on the surface anymore.
'chaniarts[_3_ Wrote:

Five times a day I set my mat down on the ground, face toward Mecca, kneel down and humble myself before God and thank HIM profusely that Canada doesn't have scorpions.
--
nestork

On 5/2/2013 4:13 PM, nestork wrote:

you have sissy scorpions
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid 111001231744AAB8Jq3
we have lots of different types. my cat cornered one in my living room trying to hide under my shoe just last night, about a 2"-er.
also 13 types of rattlers and gila monsters, which are really slow, but they are like pit bulls, as they don't let go once they have hold of you.
almost everything in the desert can get you one way or another.
Hey, you want to tilt that monitor down a bit? I think I see a scorpion over, uh, yeah. Right there. Don't move. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Five times a day I set my mat down on the ground, face toward Mecca, kneel down and humble myself before God and thank HIM profusely that Canada doesn't have scorpions.
--
nestork

hey all-- thanks for the input... at of it.. I am shelling out a few hundred $$ for a company to come in. This morning, I talked to them.. They said their system has never failed. They steam clean the area, disinfect, and then seal the floor and some of the walls with a compound that only a few in the state are authorized to use. They are coming tomorrow.
In the meantime, I made my last attempt today.. rather wasted my day- I went to a janitor supply company, and the guy sold me this jug of stuff of enzymatic urine removal stuff.. he told me it will defintiley work.. I get to the rental property and start to work.. Lo, I think I found one of the big sources- there was a metal shelve unit. and when I started to move it I was hit with a terrible funky smell.. I scanned it with the black light and there were faint signs of something, and it had started rusting..plus, when I moved the shelves, it looked like something exploded onto the wall behind it.. something splattered and soaked in to the block wall. and there certainly was something showing underneath on the concrete floor with the black light.. and, there was a mirror just leaning up against the wall next to the shelves, and the back looked like it was at one time "wet".,, hmmm... so.. I got to work.. I followed the guys instructions.. the stuff was stong, even when diluted, and my lungs started getting irritated. a few hours later I was done. all I smelt was the chemical. I take my wife over, who has a better nose than me, and she said now all she smells is pee and chemical. So, the smell is still there. whatever it was, it discolored the paint on the floor...
I am sure this company will do the job right.. just that its a freaking pain in the ass and the wallet..
so yeah, no more pets...
and oh yeah, the piss might have gotten under the tiles as well.. My wife took the black light and said she thought she saw stuff coming through cracks and in between tiles in one corner..
so, seal that sucker..

Let us know what happens, and the name of the chemicals that they use, even if they are restricted it is good to know what works.
Well the guy came.. He didnt clean the floors because I had already dont th at. The stuff he used was called Pro Clean Odor Barrier. He says it is only available to certified people, but it looks like its avail online. Its a s pray on latex coating that turns non water soluble and dries to a thick coa t. When he left all the urine and chemical smell from my previous attempt t o clean this was gone..
Chris;3057252 Wrote: > Well the guy came.. He didnt clean the floors because I had already dont > that. The stuff he used was called Pro Clean Odor Barrier. He says it is > only available to certified people, but it looks like its avail online. > Its a spray on latex coating that turns non water soluble and dries to a > thick coat. When he left all the urine and chemical smell from my > previous attempt to clean this was gone..
Where did he spray it? Just on the linoleum tile floor?
What did he use to spray it with? A garden sprayer?
--
nestork

He sprayed it on the tile and a small room that was cement. He went up the concrete and brick and block walls about 18 inches, and also sprayed the ba seboards of the finished area. He did 500 sq feet in about 20 mins. The uri ne smell and chemical smell from my previous attempt to get the smell out d isappeared right away. My wife went over tonight and immediately noticed th e funk was gone.. So.. Mission accomplished!
Oh yeah.. Just a garden sprayer was used.. This stuff is really thick and it will jam up expensive sprayers.

But you didn't do anything suggested.
Greg

nothing would work.. sealing is the key.. once humidity in the basement would rise, the pee deep in the concrete and under the tiles would start to come out. Chemicals and cleaning would only eradicate just a little, but it is still there. and.. for 20 minutes of work, vs wasting more time on something that may or may not work means that now the unit is liveable again...

so the tile is covered with the sprayed on sealer? how does the tile look?

Yeah, and what happens after it is walked on and worn thru, will the smell still be lurking. waiting to get out?
It's permanent, and a floating floor is going over it..