Cat Urine Damage

We purchased a house in September of 2003. The Woman had the windows wide open when we first saw it and no smell was apparent. On our closing inspection we noticed a slight smell but planned on taking up all the carpets anyway so figured the smell would go away then.

After removing all the carpets, the smell was actually worse and we found the urine had soaked into the sub floors, sill plate, into the heating grates, and soaked some corners of the drywall. I removed all baseboards (and tossed them), cut out affected drywall, sanded the sub floor, and soaked everything with many gallons of "nature's miracle". I then applied a thick coat of Kilz original oil based sealer. This process has taken care of 99% of the odor but on humid days we still smell the cats.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions out there? I was thinking about an air purifier or sonic breeze or something along those lines.

Thanks

Reply to
kgv135

I have heard so many stories like this recently, that if I ever buy another house, I will get the seller to post a bond that there have been no pets in the house for the last ten years. If they can't or won't post the bond, simply buy another house. It is not worth the hassle dealing with other people's scummy living habits. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

HAHAHHAHA

Jane

Reply to
Jane

I wouldn't waste my money on those. Instead, I'd spray the rooms walls and ceiling and fixtures with a mild bleach solution and wipe down.

Reply to
PJx

This is the only thing that I have ever found to work, and it is a lot of work:

First get a UV/black light ( a good one not a fake one from spencers gifts or the likes). Urine and any other bodyfluid stain will show up under UV. find some way to mark the stains. ( so you can retreat if necessary easily, for one thing). By some biological pet stain/order remover a commercial grade if possible. You can get the stuff from PetsMart, Petco etc. maybe from a restoration contractor.

Follow the instructions closely, the enzymes take 24-36 hours to work, and have to stay somewhat moist (enzymes die when dry). and go to it. You will find much more than you bargained for and depending on the previous tenants, things you do not even want to know about.

Talk to an attorney, you may have some recourse in court, for the owner / RE agents non-diclosure or attempts to mask the problems. Maybe even some fall back to the escrow / insurance you pay for in the closing process.

OR you can hire the restoration contractor talk to your insurance company. they will have some hi-powered stuff that isn't even legal to sell to individuals. The odor/stains are not only a nuisance they are also a bona fide health hazard. Maybe your insurance will cover it.

Good Luck and caveat emptor, tHAT

Reply to
Anon Ymous