cat pee removal

My cat did the nasty on a fabric padded stool (foam underneath the fabric). What can remove the smell? Tried carpet freshener, which didn't seem to have any effect.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

Remove and discard the fabric and foam. If the pee got through to any wooden surfaces under the fabric, clean and then coat them with varnish. Then install new foam and fabric.

Reply to
C G

Try one of those odor removal products that pet supply stores carry. You may have to leave the stool outside for a while to let the odor dissipate.

Reply to
LFR

The best product is called Nature's Miracle. You soak the problem area with the stuff & then let the enzymes do their work.

Reply to
montana

Yeah, I've heard that, and tried it when my elder cat had become incontinent and had chosen a section of the WTW carpet in my bedroom for a couple of her doings. Treated the area twice, in fact. After a full week, I gave up and used an Xacto knife to remove the affected carpet. A conversation later with someone in the restoration business confirmed my experience. (And, a visit to the home of one of the folks who had so highly recommended the product.)

I'm afraid that IME the only real solution to this problem has been already suggested by another poster - remove all the upholstery, possibly refinish, and start again.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

yep, replace the fabric and padding.... you'll also have to use a sealant on the wood to keep the odor from returning.

Reply to
FH

Pet stores carry "Petzyme" which has enzymes and bacteria. Works extremely well even on cat puke and crap.

cheers,

-Alan with 4 cats

Reply to
Alan McKay

If it has not dried, and it's removable, you can run the fabric through the washer a few times. Regardless, the foam is history and needs to be replaced. If it's dried and/or the fabric is not removable then you need to replace both the foam and the fabric. Solutions like Nature's Miracle are good for most other cases but when it comes to cat urine -- forget it. Nothing works against cat urine.

Something else you need to consider at this point is whether or not to keep the cat. Once a cat starts using the furniture as his litter box, he never stops. In other words -- expect future incidents. We finally had to isolate our cat to an area where there is no furniture -- the one time he managed to get out he destroyed the cushions on a $2500 sofa set. As much as I want to eliminate the animal altogether, I have a wife to contend with -- I may finally have her convinced he needs to find a new home but I'm not holding my breath.

James

Reply to
JNJ

-- I may finally have her convinced he needs to find a new home but I'm

we are praying that our daughter will take HER CAT with her to graduate school, and get it out of the basement!

Reply to
rosie

Darn cats! When we were house hunting, we fell in love with a wonderful house in an even more wonderful area and we would've bought it if it weren't for the stomach-turning cat urine stench the basement and garage were permeated with. We liked the house so much we were considering some kind of treatment to rid the cement floors in those areas of the stench but our real estate agent told us to just forget about it; she didn't think the stench could be completely eliminated. I still think that we could've fixed the problem treating the cement floors chemically, but what do I know!

Reply to
Turandot

Getting off the topic of home repair (well maybe not...), the solution for my elder incontinent cat was that she immediately became an outdoor cat. Not ideal, but she was something of a huntress to begin with and found that pleasure for the last three years of her life (as she was so proud to show me many times!) So, depending on your situation, you may have a less drastic solution to consider.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Reply to
Dick Smyth

After a full week, I gave up and used an Xacto

Natures Miracle takes about 2 weeks to break down the urine. It worked for me. I left an umbrella on my front porch and it was visited by the local tom, soaked it down, 2 weeks later no smell.

Reply to
Baroness Benachi

Look for a product called "Nature's Miracle" in your pet store.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

And once you find it - leave it on the shelf.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

. My problem is not the ordor in the house, flying/sticking hairs

I have some wipes for the cat that reduce shedding. You wipe the pet down once a week. It seems to help with the shedding, not sure if it's just the weekly 'baths' or if the product actually works like it says. Good result though. Theresa

Reply to
Baroness Benachi

Been there, done that, still ended up ripping out the carpet and pad. The only "miracle" is the amount of money being made on products that do not work.

Reply to
C G

Go to a janitorial supply store and buy a malodorant (Available in several different brands). Apply the malodorant libberally Let dry. If it still smells repeat the process untill you are satisfied. The malodorant will eat the enzymes that cause the smell. It does not "mask" them like carpet fresheners try to do and fail. It's also much more pleasant to work with than varnish or shellac.

Malodorants are also available at pet stores but are double and quadruple the price of the janitorail suppliers. The key is applying the stuff libberally. (YOU CAN'T APPLY TOO MUCH).

Good luck,

Craig in AZ

cm

AMEN! i finally gave up and destroyed a rug............................... NOTHING helped!

Reply to
rosie

I've been waiting for this very predictable post............................. ;)

Reply to
read and post daily!