Cat Doors

Page 4 of 4

Ours are already fixed.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 26, 4:28 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

invalid:
To which I have to give the standard tomcat reply- 'Whaddya mean FIXED? They worked FINE!'
(Yes, I know, if you insist a keeping a cat in an un-natural environment, you do have to keep them from reproducing....)
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

in
You have to keep them from reproducing in ANY case. Either that or start shooting them.
Add pictures here
✖

lid.invalid:
Sure there are. Visit any farm or temperate-climate area with sufficent game to support a reproducing population. Where do you think the Egyptions or whoever got theirs? Just like dogs and humans bonded for hunting purposes, cats and humans bonded for rodent control purposes. The 4-legged ones that hung around with humans ate better, and were more successful at passing their genes on. Some animal shrinks claim that domesticated dogs and cats suffer from arrested adolesence, since humans dote on them, and the ones that act like wild animals get expelled or killed. And yes, their life in the wild is shorter and nastier. If humans hadn't mostly eliminated wolves and other predators, there would be no feral cat/dog problem.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

You recall the Bible story of Joseph who predicted seven bountiful years followed by seven lean years thereby encouraging Pharaoh to store up grain?
The Egyptians were the first to practice large-scale agriculture and, to store up the harvest, they had to have granaries. The goddamn (Ra-damned?) mice began eating the grain as fast as the Egyptians could store it!
Then some enterprising soul brought to Egypt a critter known as an "African Tree Cat," which promptly set about catching mice. The African Tree Cats caught a LOT of mice. So much so the Egyptians deified the cat, calling the new god "Bastet."
Mummified cats are quite commonly found in Egyptian tombs.
Add pictures here
✖
dgk wrote:

what kind of fence to you have to contain your cat? one of mine, which was declawed when i got him, could scale an 8' block fence without problems. he used to sit on top of the fence and drive the lab next door crazy.
Add pictures here
✖

Standard four foot chain link fence and I've added another four feet or so of Home Despot green chicken wire of some sort. The secret is that the top foot or so is bent in at a 45° angle. They can climb up but climbing around that infacing tilt isn't so easy. Folks sell fences for this purpose (http://www.catfencein.com ) but I saw what they did and did the same thing for a lot less money. Their's is nicer though.
I didn't go the razor-wire route; we don't want the neighbors thinking that we're running some sort of penal colony.
I have one part of the fence hinged so the enemy cats that get in can get out before I let mine out. That's another reason I don't put in the cat door - I'd have to leave the escape route closed and confrontations would result. My alpha goes after any other cat that comes near the yard. Very territorial that one.
Oh, it isn't impossible for cats to get out even if the opening is closed. There are four evergreens that have grown over the top of the fence, and I've seen other cats shoot up the trees and right over the fence when I enter the yard. Two of my cats have even gotten on top of the fence that way but they never did it again - I guess they forgot or just don't want to leave that badly.
I also have collars on the cats with a tracking device (www.loc8tor.com) which comes in handy when I need to find them - more often inside the house or yard than outside. I do have one recent addition that I pulled off the street named Scooter who still has OUT priviliges. He'll sometimes go out the front door in the morning when I feed the strays (they're his buddies) and decide not to come back in when I leave for work. I've used the loc8tor to track him down a few times.
That's actually why I took in Scooter. He kept trying to come into the yard when my cats were back there and did it a few times. He is incredibly friendly and must have been inside at one time and saw an opening. I finally decided that I'd better have them become housemates rather than enemies. It hasn't really worked out quite that well, he's still the odd-cat-out most of the time but they usually don't hiss at each other anymore.
You can't really count on the loc8tor too much though since the collars are the break-away type; anything else is too dangerous for a cat. There have been at least three occasions where he's come back without the collar and I've always tracked it down later. Cool toy.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:49:11 -0600, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Sort of like Christianity set back western civilization for a few hundred years, nothing like a few dark ages. Religion does that. But of course, what really caused most of the problems were (sorry Harry) the British. After all, it was the British (and US of course) that put in Saddam, and the Shah in Iran. What we get now is referred to as "blow back".
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/30/2010 8:04 AM, dgk wrote:

I watched a documentary that had some information about Brazil and it described Brazilian natives being so impressed with the early Christian missionaries that they wanted their power so they ate them. :-)
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

No, harry, quite like Europe today.
Add pictures here
✖

Come on harry, it's all over Hollywood. You should have seen it by now.
Add pictures here
✖
harry wrote:

1. "Wild" and "domestic" are not exclusive. "Wild" and "domesticated" might be. Just as domesticated cats can go feral (or start out that way), wild cats can, and were, domesticated.
All of the cats we have today in the West originated with the Egyptians domesticating an African wild cat (Felis silvestris lybica). Domestic cats in other parts of the world had a slightly different ancestor.
II. Animals DO exhibit some of the same emotions as do two-leggers. The same parts of their brains are excited with the same stimuli that causes emotions in humans. The more primitive emotions lie in the Lymbic System, whose basic functions can be remembered by the four Fs: Flight, Feeding, Fighting, and Reproduction.
Add pictures here
✖
TimR wrote:

Consider the following:
------------- STATE OF ILLINOIS EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT SPRINGFIELD, April 23, 1949
To the Honorable, the Members of the Senate of the Sixth-sixth General Assembly:
I herewith return, without my approval, Senate Bill No. 93, entitled, "An Act to Provide Protection to Insectivorous Birds by Restraining Cats." This is the so-called "Cat Bill." I veto and withhold my approval from this Bill ...
Furthermore, I cannot agree that it should be the declared public policy of Illinois that a cat visiting a neighbor's yard or crossing the highway is a public nuisance. It is in the nature of cats to do a certain amount of unescorted roaming....
Also consider the owner's dilemma: To escort a cat abroad on a leash is against the nature of the cat, and to permit it to venture forth for exercise unattended into a night of new dangers is against the nature of the owner...
The problem of cat versus bird is as old as time. If we attempt to resolve it by legislation why knows but what we may be called upon to take sides as well in the age old problems of dog versus cat, bird versus bird, or even bird versus worm. In my opinion, the State of Illinois and its local governing bodies already have enough to do without trying to control feline delinquency.
For these reasons, and not because I love birds the less or cats the more, I veto and withhold my approval from Senate Bill No. 93.
Respectfully, ADLAI E. STEVENSON, Governor
http://mrgunnar.net/ap.cfm?subpage48265
Add pictures here
✖
It is in the nature of cats to do a certain amount of

What you're telling me is you have no responsibility for the damage that your cat may cause on other people's property, because it is the cat's nature to do so.
If that is really the case, then cat ownership should simply be prohibited, because there is no way to manage it responsibly.
However, there are plenty of cat owners who ARE responsible and who do not let their cats roam the neighborhood unattended, at risk to themselves and causing harm to the neighbors.
Much as I like horses, cows, and dogs, I don't want your animals in my yard, and it isn't my job to keep them out. Why should cats be any different?
Very simply, keep your cat out of my yard. If you can't figure out how to do that, then you shouldn't own a cat.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/29/2010 9:41 AM, TimR wrote:

Every neighborhood is different. Different feel different type of people live there.
Now, I can understand a cat howling at night, and an owner has responsibility here. But a neighborhood where cats can't cross through your yard is way too uptight for me. I know of no laws that prohibit that.
There's a lot of unregulated animal behaviour going on out there. Get over it.
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖
TimR wrote:

No, Adali Stevenson - twice Democratic nominee for President (against Eisenhower) and governor of Illinois is telling you that, not me.

No, under the civil law your open, unfenced, yard is known as a "constructive nuisance." Further, it is much the same as an unfenced swimming pool, or in the law, a PIT.
You are responsible for any damage to your property when its very being entices a child - or a cat.
At least those are the points that could be made in a civil trial.
Add pictures here
✖
<...snipped...>

That's not a translation, just a different font.

✖
Jeff Thies wrote:

http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Control/flo_control.htm
Add pictures here