Cat Doors

Page 2 of 4
On 12/25/2010 4:43 PM, aemeijers wrote:

No truer words could be said. In fact indoor cats have to be special low cal diets. Indoor cats are a study in inactivity.
My indoor/outdoor cats lead cat lives, are often on the go, and are much better behaved than the indoor only cats I've had in the past. I mean they have real cat things to do, not just play with the furniture and get fixated on having some treat or such.
They look happy to me, and they all have such different approaches to being a cat.
Jeff

Add pictures here
✖

After my terrible, expensive experience with cat accident, vet urged me to keep him indoors. They always do that, no doubt out of sincere concern for the animal. But I just don't think that's right, even in an urban environment. So "we" (cat and I) compromise by letting him go in and out during the day and keeping him in at night. No doubt this is the reverse of the animal's usual hunting behaviour, but it's the best "we" can do rather than make him a "plush toy" as one poster cogently expressed.

Add pictures here
✖

Ok, he have a couple of self-propelled plush toys that just think they're cats. ;-) We had one to the ripe old age of 22, though for about half her life she did go outside. Our last four or five never have been outside alone.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 25, 8:11 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

At least they get some time out in the exercise yard. Sunlight, fresh air, and sensory input- what a combination. Considering what a cat's senses and athletic skills are compared to a human, a suburban house must be like a sensory deprivation tank for them. No wonder so many go wacko, or get stuck at the adolescent stage, socially.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 19:46:22 -0800 (PST), aemeijers

That's never happened with our cats. They've all been quite normal, cats. Both are sleeping on my wife now (one is normally on me, but I've been moving around too much).
Add pictures here
✖

Got no use for your "real cat", just as I have no use for dogs that aren't allowed in the house. A neighbor's was kept outside on a chain, 24/7. Terrible.
Both animals are for my entertainment.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 27, 2:02 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Do they call you Massah or Ceasar?
Hey, whatever floats yer boat. I <like> cats, and if I wasn't allergic to them, and gone from the house ten hours a day M-F, I'd probably have one. But I don't feel I have the right to subject any living creature to that much boredom. I like dogs too, but not as inside animals. If I had acreage, I'd probably have a couple working dogs, with suitable outside pen space and shelter, as a burglar alarm.
-- aem sends.... -- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

No, they call me "Meow!".

Your assumptions are faulty => wrong answer.
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

I. You can get shots for your allergies.
II. Cats thrive on boredom. Give them a perch and a window to look out of and they are happy.
They spend their waking hours imagining things - like what balsa wood tastes like.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/27/2010 3:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

That's fine. Not for everyone.
just as I have no use for dogs that aren't

Had a neighbor that did the same thing. The dog lived for the break from that. And was still loyal to his owner.

Mine are very entertaining. Even the neighbors love em and have bequeathed their own names on them. Got one named after Rush's cat Punkin. They are fascinating creatures. Thinking about getting them do some tricks like Dominique and his trained House Cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
¿iLj0ui4Bs
Not the flaming hoop bit though. They are very good at standing up, to get closer to the treat, that Party Mix is powerful.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖

We had a couple, thirty years ago. One finally decided to stay inside and lived to a ripe old 22. The other refused to stay inside. A dog got it. After those two we never let the cats get a "taste" of the outside.

Sure. We used to jump the fence to pet and play with him and my son would feed him when the neighbors were gone. My son once surprised him (eating) and the dog ripped my son's leg open. Other than missing a few weeks swimming, no big deal.

It's not like house cats are stationary "plush toys". ;-)

One of ours goes nuts over ground coffee and turns his nose up at ham. Have you tried the shrimp(?) flakes?
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/27/2010 7:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

<snip>
Ground coffee? Never would have thought of that! Must be like catnip, which some some cats love, and some don't.
What gets mine in a tizzy is chicken livers. They stand on their legs and cry, "me, feed me". It's pandemonium watching them as I drop bits of liver. The cats standing on their hind legs trying to catch them. My girlfriends cats, same litter, are too refined for this and have lost the blood lust. One of mine will just sit at the edge and watch this craziness unfold, and wait for her bit of liver. They are adaptable, and easily spoiled!
What amazes me about cats, much more so than dogs, is how clearly defined and different their personalities are. They really are individualists.
I'll suggest the shrimp flakes to my girlfriend.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖

We don't give it to the dumb cat but sometimes a little spills. He'll find it!

Animals are quite like children. We had a Golden Retriever that *loved* grapes. Grapes were the only floor he'd catch in the air. Steak, nope, he'd jump like he was going to catch it, then let it drop, before he'd snarf it up off the floor. My brother, a veterinarian, once decided to "teach" him to stop begging (he never begged from us because we ignored him at the table); he threw him a grape. Bad move. ;-)

Yep. Every one we've had has been quite different. All affectionate, but very different.

I think it's shrimp. They're sea food flakes of some sort. The cats go nuts over them. We don't often give it to them, just a special treat.
Add pictures here
✖

Very few diseases are transmissible from cats to humans. The other way is even more rare.

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon 27 Dec 2010 11:00:50a, Red Green told us...

We have five cats who have lived all their lives indoors and are very happy and contented. We occasionally take two at a time with us when we spend time on the patio. They're usually ready to go back in the house long before we are.
FWIW, they play with each other and also have dozens of toys that they actively play with.
Our eldest is 19 years old.

✖
Jeff Thies wrote:

I built mine in a 10" wide board that fits under the partially-closed window. If the cat door ever needs to go away, I'll just raise the window, remove the board containing the cat-flap, then close the window.
Oh, there's a screw in the window frame to prevent the goblins, squints, mopes, do-bads, stink-eyes, etc., from using the cat door contraption as an entryway.
Add pictures here
✖

✖
Jeff Thies wrote:

Good for the neighborhood. Lets the cats out so they can kill birds, chipmonks, etc. Also so they can wail at night.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/25/2010 9:37 AM, LouB wrote:

They are good cats, and they do kill a lot of rodents. There are a couple of vacant lots nearby so it is happy hunting grounds for them and the hawks and owls. Not all cats are good hunters though. And neutered cats don't have much reason to wail.
I happen to like chipmunks, it is there unfortunate lot in life to be both tasty and entertaining.
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖

Have they brought you any? I had a cat once that brought me dead mice,and a live bird which it released indoors,that was hilarious;my mom a bird-lover trying to get the bird out of the house while the cat was leaping all over the place trying to recapture it. 8-)

it's not easy for a cat to catch a healthy chipmunk,squirrel,or bird. there's no shortage of them,either.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik