Cat Doors

Page 1 of 4
I'm putting in a new door, as well as residing/rebuilding that part of the house, and I'm thinking of putting in the cat door in the wall rather than the door.
I'd like to avoid some obvious problems, like water in the walls. So either make a channel out of backer board or find about a 6" tube. Slope it down toward the outside so it drains and has a bit of wind blocking.
Those are my ideas. I don't always have good ideas. Something else? The commercial cat doors have not been holding up for me, but they get a lot of use.
Jeff
Jeff Thies wrote:

I might be tempted to put in something resembling a train caboose. Just as well give the neighbors something to talk about.

Hmmm... or maybe make it a bit longer than necessary, and have 2 doors to form a little 'airlock'? The upsloping 'tunnel' part could even run parallel to the outside wall face... cats are nimble enough to make a 90 degree turn.
Just thinking out loud... I've never done or been involved in such a project.
Good Luck!
Erik
On 12/24/2010 3:53 PM, Erik wrote:

That sounds like a very good idea because small kids have been sent through pet doors by burglars to unlock the door and there are some small adult burglars who can get through pet doors too. :-)
TDD

My ganny's house had a big delivery box built into the side. Us kids used to hide in there. Except everyone knew we'd hide there. LOL. Back in the day, I don't think anyone would ever imagine it was a burglar's entry point. o, the box was for delivery of ice before electric refrigerators.
For the pet door, isn't there some sort of locking meachanism and the pet is supposed to wear the "key" on it's collar?
On 12/24/2010 7:00 PM, Earl wrote:

Yea, the little radio collar or I think there is one that uses the same technology as the retail anti theft tags found on merchandise. The door locks to keep critters like raccoons or unauthorized kitties from entering the home. I like the tunnel idea because I think it might deter human trespassers. :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I haven't seen any RFID pet doors yet, the ones that have a pet only lock usually just have a magnet for the pets collar to activate the lock. Most raccoons and other wild animals don't have magnetic collars.
On 12/24/2010 9:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Yea but, what if an anvil gets stuck to te magnet around Fluffy's neck, how in the heck is she going to drag that thing through the door?
TDD

Harry, your world view is nothing if not consistent!

It's nothing.
On 12/24/2010 10:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

I wouldn't put it beyond a raccoon to get a magnet (or a cat to lose one). They are a lot smarter than cats and can manipulate all kinds of latches. At least that has been my unfortunate experience.
I have enough trouble with the commercial cat doors to start adding technology to one. And there is enough food outside to satisfy the possums.
Jeff

I was thinking of something like that. Getting the two doors offset would keep a breeze blowing directly in. I had thought about in the wall, but not enough room. I'll have some Hardy Plank left over that I can make something out of. If I put the "air lock" inside, I can use anything.

We are talking cats here.
I'd like to make it small enough to keep the possums and raccoons out. Not that I know how small that is, they can squeeze in some tight places.
Thanks, Jeff

Ours is mounted in a walkout basement casement window, with a cat ledge they must jump to to access the offset swinging doors. Cats travel from ledge thru 1 door, turn pass between panel where a storm window would be mounted and where the main sash (raised)would be, turn again thru the basement access swinger. 2 door 'airlock' (kinda) keeps wild critters out cats only need to be 'stuffed' into hole once or twice before they figure it out.
YMMV Steve southiowa
--
There is no such thing as a silly question;
just silly people asking questions.
On 12/25/2010 5:44 AM, Steve.IA wrote:

I like that. How did you do the swinging doors?
Cats travel from

I love it, of course I can't duplicate it exactly! I think the jumping part is what thins out the non cats. Very clever.
Jeff

Masonite panel cut to fit the window opening. Skil saw a hanging door and attach with small hinges at the top to swing to/fro. I even sided the outside panel with leftover scraps from the residing job so it matches the house.
Steve
--
There is no such thing as a silly question;
just silly people asking questions.

Tell me about it!!! We went through a siege in which every morning I'd see the cat's dish overturned , chow spilled out of the jar, his water befouled. Friend told me that raccoons have no salivary glands, so they have to wash their food (?). It was awful! I even hung mothballs over the cat door, but that didn't help. Finally realized I have to slide the door closer into place every night. Nuisance to crouch down and turn those tight little screws that hold it in place. Have to place duct tape across, so raccoon doesn't push door open. THEN have to call the cat in. Can't leave him out at night; he's black and already had a $4000 car accident. People have suggested those electronic doors, but my cat specializes in losing collars...
On 12/25/2010 11:56 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Interesting.
It was awful! I even hung

Ouch. Might be cheaper to fence in the yard!
People have suggested

Never seen a raccoon jump, nor a possum.
Got more cats than I ever thought I'd have. Started with none and adopted a stray and put in a cat door and then... Well the neutering program finally caught up. Two things I should have realized, Cats reproduce very fast and kittens are not easy to give away.
When I wake up now, I see an assortment of cats just watching me waiting for me to say "Breakfast"! Then I don't see most of them again until the next morning! I've sort of taken up the study and photography of cats. Like they say when you have lemons, you make lemonade.
Jeff

Also other cats, small dogs, squirrels, rodents, raccoons and other non-desirable animals can enter through a cat door. Indoor cats that go out can get into cat fights, get injured, become road kill and/or bring home fleas, bed bugs, worms and diseases. Indoor cats should stay indoors and outdoor cats should stay outdoors.

Or, ideally: http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/catrun.htm

Indoor-only cats aren't cats any more- they are self-propelled plush toys. Sure, they live longer- keep you locked up and you probably would, too.
-- aem sends...