Cat 5 wiring

Page 3 of 4
Yup, I realize the error of my ways. Thanks, Bob

mark wrote:

depending on weather you are making a crossover or regular cable. Scan Google for pictures.

No.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

In fact, it would be a mistake to strip them.

Buy a better quality crimper.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Better yet, buy them all made. Home Depot has good prices on ready made cat 5 cables.
mark wrote:

If it's any help, you only need four of the eight connectors for computer work. Also, once the connector checks out, we fill the back of the connector with hot glue.
We finally gave up on that shit (unless it's a really long run) and buy cables from Cyberguys.
http://www.cyberguys.com/
HeyBub wrote:

coiled up in a dead space, that it usually isn't worth the hassle to roll your own, unless you just want to know you can. Mebbe if you do it all day every day- but for us once-in-a-blue-moon folks with aging eyesight- well, I've only got so many years left.
-- aem sends...

cyberguys it is....

You do know that a 20 ft coil is bad for two reasons? 20 extra feet and coiling up a cat 5 cable. I want my network running optimally.
metspitzer wrote: <snip>

I probably wouldn't coil it up (although I doubt it'll make a difference) -- no need to tempt the fates with extra inductance. But an extra 20 feet is not an issue by itself unless you're running near the length limits.
metspitzer wrote:

Right. It will take the signal 2 x 10^^-8 seconds to travel the unnecessary distance.
HeyBub wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

I always wondered why they use 4 pair cable. My understanding is a pair is used each direction. Can you use 2 pair cable? Does 2 pair cat 5 cable exist?
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

CAT 5 only describes the performance characteristics of the cable. It has nothing to do with how many pairs are in the cable. And using all pairs of 4 pair cable is not unusual in computer work with GigE being the most common current example.
George wrote:

That is why I asked if 2 pair cat 5 cable exists?

Can you use 2 pair cable for 100Mhz ethernet?
--
bud--

bud-- wrote:

Sure, you can get 2 pair or 50 pair. Two pair is not commonly used because the install would save a couple pennies and it isn't standard practice. And you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you wanted to say use GigE which uses 4 pairs.

and the other wires (in the 4-pair cable) help hold the pairs you need in place, so it isn't so hard to get the connectors on right.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

But that is of little use in standard practice since both ends are punched down, one end on the patch panel and the other on the jack.

I was referring to crimped connectors. The fact that you prefer something else (punch down) doesn't mean crimped connectors don't exist.

Mark Lloyd