Cat 5 wiring

Page 2 of 4
dpb wrote:

I install a lot of the stuff. The city here requires that it be used in commercial buildings whenever the drop ceiling is used as a return air (plenum). I see no reason to use it in a home unless you're using the HVAC ductwork as a wiring chase. Plenum cable is a lot more expensive than non-plenum. For some strange reason Domino's Pizza Corporation specifies Cat5 plenum for the installation of their new Pulse POS systems. I have yet to see a Domino's that used the ceiling as a return air. I think Salty Canine is just plain grouchy, I'm like that sometimes and the older I get, the less tolerant of aberrant behavior I am. DAMN KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

Those both make sense are are Code or local variation/requirements.
The question remains about the point raised earlier that makes no sense at all.

In a fire, non-plenum rated wiring gives off very toxic fumes. Very toxic. The reason it is especially important in a plenum is that any air handling systems will blow those fumes into other areas that may be occupied, eventhough uninvolved in the actual fire. In a house, it is far more likely that smoke will be in all areas in a very short time, even without assistance from the air handling system.
Poison gases may dramatically reduce your chances for getting everyone out alive.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Where was a plenum any portion of the thread and mentioned in the recommendation I questioned as part of the suggestion to use it no matter what? That's what I was after was why the blanket suggestion.
If you mean to restrict the recommendation to locations where it make sense, that makes sense (doh!). Otherwise, it simply is a waste of money as there's little if any benefit going to be gained in a fire any way given the relative amounts of material in other contents that are also toxic.

A house is very different than a typical commercial building, and in a fire, behaves differently. You don't need a plenum, to benefit from the safety offered by plenum rated cable in a home installation. The higher cost of plenum cable to deal with it is likewise, not a big deal in a home, where you aren't going to need miles of it as you might in a commercial installation.
Don't put the cheapest locksets available on your doors, either.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: ...

The point is in a house there are so many other sources the relatively minute amount of Cat-5 cable insulation is absurd to think is a significant factor in comparison.

It's enough of a problem that it's worth using the better cable. The fumes it gives off are VERY toxic, not just a little toxic.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

If you say so--I have a hard time believing it would be significant in the scheme of things in an actual fire.

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:54:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I am sure that is true. I plan to go outside my house catches fire.

Good plan!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

My understanding is that the plenum fumes are _more_ toxic than those of the non-plenum cable, but there's less of them and they take longer to get started -- again, it's not a simple choice. In a commercial setting, you would expect the sprinkler system to activate before the plenum-rated cables ignited, but in a house there's no sprinkler system.

Pop quiz:
Which is more deadly: Clorine gas or Cyanide Gas?
I don't trust any wiring done by a cat.

The cat is there to chase the rat. It's the rat that does the wiring :-)
dpb wrote:

Are you referring to blanket statements? If an ignorant person wants to use very expensive plenum cable when he/she/it doesn't have to, send them to me. I'll sell them all they can afford. Someone like that reminds me of a fool who will shell out unnecessary money to buy premium gasoline for his/her/its minivan.
TDD

Maybe I've been doing something wrong here. Do I need to strip the insulation off of each conductor, or do I just leave the insulation on and let the crimper puncture the insulation?

mark wrote:

Oh my! It's not rocket science, believe me, but get it right and avoid cross-talk or you'll be very sorry...
See if this helps: http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/cat5diy1.html
or this: http://video.google.com/videosearch?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q tegory+5+cable+how+to+crimp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#
Is Google still on strike in you neck of the wood?

Just strip the outer jacket. The copper things inside the plug have teeth that cut into the insulation & touch the wire inside. (the crimper pushes them down into the wire).