Cat 5 Cable Conduit

Page 3 of 3
So how big around is this cat 5 ? Is it bigger than regular phone line but smaller than cable coax ?? Ray
> > Can I use 1/2 inch pvc conduit to run Cat 5 underground ? > > > > Or must I go with a larger size ?? > > > > Thanks in advance > > > > > >

1/4 inch or 6 mm.

Yeah, that is about right. It has 4 pairs, instead of the 2 of phone wire.
You can get 2 coax and 2 cat 5 in a 3/4 inch conduit, of that I know.
Well, one problem I see is that you are talking about using it for phone, intercom, computer and cable tv.
Computer: will use one cat5 cable by itself. It needs 8 conductors for ethernet.
Phone: 2 conductors per line.
Intercom: Depends on the intercom, but minimum of 2 per line.
Cable TV: Needs coax, not cat5.
So at minimum, 2 runs of cat5 and 1 run of coax. nope, won't go in a 1/2" conduit.
Ray wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. Ray
> Can I use 1/2 inch pvc conduit to run Cat 5 underground ? > > Or must I go with a larger size ?? > > Thanks in advance > >
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:38:40 -0600, "Ray"

I have Cat6 running in 1/2", so, yes. But if you're digging a trench, use 1", or better, two 1" conduits. Especially if you have several bends. You don't know what you'll want next year and you'll be glad you blew the slight extra cash.
Jeff
Ray, just run the coax and the cat 5.....who wants to be bothered by Phone calls and the Wife when you are in your shop??!!
;^)