Cat 5 Cable Conduit

Page 2 of 3
just don't go to HD or Lowes to buy cable/wire. You'll get soaked. Go to local electrical supply house. A box of CAT5e should be approx 50% of what the home centers ask.

CAT5 is fine for a home network.

Do it all in one shot with something like http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid14&sku &865
or
http://www.futurehomesystems.com/w177.shtml
Cat5 is fine for a home installation. You probably aren't running too many multimedia files that would require more than 100 Mbps. There are variants of the above that do include Cat6 or 7, but the switches etc are not priced for home use (by most people) yet.
Check out the specs on the cable for pull ratings. Some have an outer jacket that allows for longer "pulls".
NJBrad

Cable TV -- no, you need coax (probably RG-6 IIRC) for "normal" cable connections Phone -- yes, but running phone along with computer networking is not considered proper by many installers Computer -- yes, if you have an ethernet network Intercom -- yes, probably, although there might be some bizarre sort of IC that needs too many conductors (but I've never seen one)
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

If you do not know the answer, shouldn't you use a bigger conduit and a pull string for later use if you are wrong? Cable TV runs on RG6 coax and you didn't mention if you were putting that in the conduit also. Phone can use cat 5 but not at the same time as the internet, you probably could put the intercom and the phone on the same cat 5 if you wanted to, but best case scenario would be to run two cat5e cables and a coax, put a pull string in the at least 1 inch conduit that you need to run and be worry free knowing that your bases are covered.
nataS
Ray wrote:

Use 2" 20' sections and don't use 90's or 45's. Use 90 sweeps and or 45 sweeps. They bend at a larger radius allowing you to pull cable easily through the conduit.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

The Masked Marvel wrote:

I always suggest 2". You never know what else you might want to add at a later date. The cost difference isnt that much and I wouldnt want to dig that ditch again, ever!
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

One Cat5 would not be sufficient if using ethernet connection for broadband internet. ethernet uses all 8 conductors of the Cat5. Phone uses only 2 conductors per phone line.
BeamGuy wrote:

I this needs to be clarified; 10 and 100baseT use only two pair, the ones on pins 1&2 and pins 3&5. There's a nice picture at http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm . There is no shortage of ethernet tech info on the Internet.
Having said this, it is "out of spec" to use the other pairs for anything, which means if you do so, you'll never have your installation approved as fully cat-5 (or 5e, or 6) compliant. Few homeowners bother with this anyhow since it involves expensive people with expensive equipment. In the early days before the wisdom of pulling multiple cables was widely accepted, it was not unheard of for IT staff to break the other pairs out to another jack and run two ethernet links over one cable, with acceptable results - at least at 10 Mb/s. I can't say I've heard about phone-plus-ethernet. I think I'd do the experiment *before* I committed to the cable pull.
Now, 1000baseT uses all 4 pairs: http://logout.sh/computers/net/gigabit /.
Chip C Toronto
Chip C wrote:

I think you mean 1 & 2, and 3 & *6*.
(See your link.)
--
Jack Gavin

Jack Gavin wrote:

I believe he did, too... but the point is that is does only use 2 pair, but I wouldn't recommend using the other 2 pair for anything else.

Hmmm. Perhaps I should have said, no shortage of ethernet tech info on the Internet *better than mine*!
Many thanks for pointing this out.
Chip C
I stand by my previous statement...

1/2" is more than sufficient for cat5 cable. Cat5 is usually no more than 1/4" in diameter. and since you plan to push the cable through, then you don't need to worry about the maximum pulling force that you can apply to the cable :)
Ray wrote:

I'd use 3/4" but 1/2" will do. I don't know what you're doing with this but remember that the maximum total cable length for 10BaseT or 100BaseT connections is 100 meters.
RB
Ray wrote:

Make sure you get the conduit deep enough. Pvc does not hold up well with traffic, weight passing over it.
Make sure the wire is rated to be in wet locations. If not your going to be doing this over in a few years. 1/2 inch will work fine. install it then use a vacuum to suck part of a plastic bag through the conduit. I used 1/2 for my pool run recently. I was installed the pull line by myself so I had to walk back and forth several times.
I would use the 3/4, you never know what you may want to pull another cable.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
You can get phone and Computer over the CAT5 I am not sure about intercom. I don't think you will get TV for that you need coax.
Make sure you bury deep you may want to invest in some marking foil tape to put in the trench a foot above the PVC or some copper ground wire so the location can be found!. I would be tempted to use black plastic irrigation pipe myself you can get a longer length for fewer splices and it should cost less and care less about how flat the trench is. 3/4 or 1" should still cost less. Make sure you include a pull string in the pipe no matter what you use for future stuff and try to avoid 90 degree angles use 2 45's instead! For 150' I would use a cordless phone myself as well a wireless computer network!
Wayne