Cast Iron Tablesaw...

mine is in an unheated garage...what is a good rust protector? (Stormy never responds to me...so I won't hear about WD-40!) Thanks!

Reply to
bob_villa

Light coating of motor oil. Reapply with a rag occasionally.

Reply to
Vic Smith

+1 Or cutting oil. Anything to put a film on the piece.

Of course, depends on what you intend to cut with the saw as to how much that film will "compromise" the pieces when used.

I keep most of my hand tools (jack planes, chisels, drill bits, etc.) coated with a light film unless they see frequent use. Some are sold with a fine coating in place -- don't "wipe them clean" just because you *think* them dirty/oily! :>

Reply to
Don Y

I've had good results from a coat of paste wax, but I've had better results from Boeshield. My was is inactive for the coldest months of winter from the end of December to about mid March.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Saw a tip - perhaps it was in this very group - a couple of years ago.

There is a product called PENETROL

It's billed as a paint "conditioner" but it's also recommended as a sealer/rust preventative for metal. I've used it the past couple of years and it works well. About $10 a quart at the BORG in the paint section

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

For quick & easy & fairly cheap - Rem-Oil < Remington gun oil ? > - kinda like WD-40 .. but it doesn't all evaporate & disappear so much. A few other more waxy more expensive products are out there .. John T.

hubops

Some folks like GlideCote, formerly TopCote. It is not specifically sold as a rust preventative, but many folks have noted that rust protection is an un-documented benefit.

I've never tried it, just read about it in some forums. I've got a really old can of Johnson's paste wax that seems to work for me and which will probably last longer than I will.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations...I will try something I have lying around...2-cycle oil. (no, not mixed!)

Reply to
bob_villa

Last thing I'd use. It will protect the iron, but can make a mess when you go to use the saw. Do you really want oil residue on that $75 piece of cherry you are ripping?

Also, use nothing that contains silicone.

Your saw, your choice though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why not mix it with some kind of solvent? That will help it penetrate the pores in the metal. Mineral spirits is better than gasoline tho. I have used 30w and mineral spirits to clean up rusty tools.

Reply to
gfretwell

One of the best rust preventives around consists of a sheet and a 20w light bulb . Cover with the sheet and put the lit bulb underneath . All ya gots to do is keep the iron above the dew point . No condensation equals no rust . I keep an incandescent bulb burning in my machine shop 24/7 in the cold months . I get occasional moisture when we get a quick rise in temps but overall thinhgs stay pretty dry .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Quite commn in tropics to buy small enclosed heaterbars for bottom of closets etc. If you were lucky enough to live in permanent accomdation in Vietnam then there was likely an unprotected lamp in the bottom of the hanging space to keep the humitity down or set your clothes on fire if they fell on the lamp >:|

Reply to
John G