Cast iron stack

Greetings, I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest, built in '54, poured-concrete foundation.
A total of 3 roof vents. Cast-iron with lead-oakum hubs.
One of the smaller stacks, venting the kitchen drain, had "little tiny rust beards" in 3 or 4 places. The plumber called 'em "carbuncles" and said they would fail a bldg. inspection.
I was under the impression that a vertical cast-iron stack was supposed to be good for something like 100 years. Incorrect assumption?
The main stack (the one that might weigh 'leventy-seven tons for all I know <g>) looks kinda OK.
If replacement of a stack is impractical, what do folks do about a few small "carbuncles"?
Sad to say, some crazy man built a basement bedroom around the offending stack, which is now only 3/4 exposed inside a closet with wall on one side and the elec. svc. panel a few inches away on the other side.
Any suggestions for stack replacement in extremely confined space?
TIA, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
Puddin' Man wrote:

Cast iron DWV generally does have 100 yr life (or more). But there can be impurities in the iron which create localized corrosion like you see.
He's right; some city inspectors will fail corrosion which has bled to the outside.
Will they permit replacement with PVC? Maybe not. Can the thing be concealed (boxed in) so it's not visible? Left alone, the cast pipe will probably be there without failing for another half century...
Jim

Scrape and paint.

Paint's a bit too thin where water passes, I fear.
Caulk works short-term.
Is there an epoxy-with-mesh-like product that is water-proof? Auto body filler doesn't qualify??
Cheers, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
Puddin' Man wrote:

about it but it may stick on cast iron. just a wild idea.

Glad to hear.

Maybe that's it: just cheap iron.

Ouch!
I'm 99% sure. Last year I replaced maybe 5' of horizontal drain with PVC and couplers. Same plumber said it looked fine.

It was leaking a little. Maybe 1 sq. foot of drywall damage. I cleaned it up, applied some clear DAP aquarium (silicone) caulk. It's holding for now.
Much thanks, Puddin'
"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim." - Bertrand Russell
Puddin' Man wrote:

In that case, get 2 couplers & a piece of PVC and fix the vertical stack. Put in strap hangers on the top section before cutting out the bad section, because you don't want the top part down in that closet when you cut out the middle bad part.
Tom J been there and done that