Cast iron sink/Granite countertop

I am remodeling my kitchen. We will be installing granite countertops and a Kohler Executive Chef cast iron *undermount* sink, which weighs 144 pounds.

The granite guys say they usually drill holes in the underside of the granite for anchors to hold an undermount sink.

The granite guys suggested that their anchors would not be strong enough to hang a cast iron 144 pound sink. They said they could install a couple of

2x4's to hold up the sink.

We are having the cabinets custom made by a skilled cabinet-maker.

What suggestions do you have for supporting the weight of a cast iron undermount sink with a granite countertop?

I don't want something ugly, like 2x4's, in the under-sink cabinet.

By the way, an email copy of your response would be appreciated, in addition to posting here to the group.

Reply to
Thomas A Bruno

That is what our instaler did , He is just insuring his work this way, That 144lb sink will weigh 227 lb with 10 gallons of water in it

Reply to
m Ransley

We had silestone countertops put in a year ago with a stainless sink undermount which did not weigh near what yours does. They used a bonding agent which did not hold and the sink fell in the next morning (and this was sunday) we ended up putting it back up and built a frame under the sink in the cabinet (which the sales guy said they would do) and it is very sturdy and you don't see it unless your looking for it..I would be VERY concerned about drilling holes that near the sink cutout..Granite being a natural substance, the holes may weaken the countertop..I would let them do the 2X4 frame with that much weight......Just my two cents worth... John

Reply to
John

Have your custom cabinet maker make the sink support out of hardwood, like the cabinets themselves?

Reply to
John Hines

8/4 stock would be sufficient. Then again the only time you would see the 2x4's would be when/if you change the faucet out.
Reply to
Lou W

I can't see exactly what your situation is from here, but between your cabinet maker and your countertop guys, I'll bet they can come up with something workable that will be both functional and aesthetic (It's hard to imagine that they haven't run into this situation before). But, you'll most likely have to make some noise to get them to be creative. Otherwise, since they don't have to live with the finished results and will want get the job done as quickly as possible, you'll probably end up with something workable (maybe) but ugly.

Make them take the time to figure out some sort of under-sink support framework that will hold up the sink from *below* and that can be shored up with supports at the four "corners" inside the under-sink cabinet. You'll still see the four supports, but they won't be in the way. The supports could also be stained to match the wood of the cabinets to make it even more unnoticeable.

Just an idea.

Reply to
Banister Stariwell

When I had my undermount one installed they used a sheet of 3/4" plywood cut to size so the lip of the sink sits on top if it then laid the countertop on top I have about 5" on each side of the sink before there is a vertical support!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne