cast iron pipe repair question

Hi, I am trying to replace a cracked section of stacked cast iron soil pipe with new pvc. So far I have bought a riser clamp to support the upper sections of pipe while I cut and replace the piece. I have also located a rental place that has a cast iron cutter. My problem is that since I can't support the pipe from the floor above without tearing up a floor or wall, I may need to build some kind of scaffold for the riser clamp to sit on. Is it sufficient to rest the riser clamp on

2x4s that are attached to wall studs? There is approximately 10 feet of pipe above the damaged part. Thats got to be alot of weight.

I am usually a pretty fearless DIYer, but this thing makes me a nervous. Am I in over my head???

thanks, Aron

Reply to
aronallen6

Somewhere in the vicinity of 100 lbs.

Studs ought to hold that . If you're concerned, build an A-frame out of a couple of 2 X 4's to transfer the load to the floor.

You may want to plan some kind of hanger/strap to support the pipe weight above even *after* you put the PVC repair section in. It's not good practice to expect the PVC to support unnecessary loading.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Is the existing cast lead and oakum or no hub bands joints? also your going to need a ratchet cutter it's a bitch to cut a vertical piece with a regular cutter. Why would you not want to replace it with cast? I would rather have cast than plastic any day. I'm sure when you replace the pipe your going to use no hub bands, Buy husky bands ( 4 clamps on each band) much better.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

the existing pipe has lead and oakum at the joints. I failed to mention earlier that the lower half of the stack has already been replaced with plastic, so I can have a nice connection on the lower half of this new section. The upper part will be connected with a no hub band. thanks for the tip about husky bands. I am feeling better knowing the approximate weight of the pipe I will be supporting. thanks for the replies.

Aron

Reply to
aronallen6