Cast iron pipe

What is the best way to cut 6" cast iron sewage pipe? Would a sawzall tackle this pipe or would an electric abrasive cutter be better for the job?

Reply to
Rich

Rent a "snap-cutter" for CI pipe. If that's not practical for a one-time, I would go for the abrasive saw blade. Depends if you can get the saw all the way around. Sawzall works with a good blade *sometimes*. CI is quite variable; some will cut like butter, others are extra hard and eats blades

Or....do like the old timers: gently make a groove all the way around the pipe with a chisel, then break it apart:-)

If you use an abrasive saw, wear a good dust mask.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Rich

It has a chain and wheels where the rolling links would be these score the pipe but you don't ahve to go all the way around like a tubing cutter you only have to go back and forth a few degrees and then tighten some more and repeat until you hear SNAP, you won't miss the snap, so wear two pair of underware that day and make the oldest pair the first you put on!! LOL Good luck, Rich

Reply to
Yep

The last time I went to the rental centers for a snap cutter they looked at me like I was crazy.

Modern sawsall blade technology has made this item a non stock in my area.

Go to a plumbing supply house and buy the right blade for your sawsall.

I think it has 6 teeth per inch. It is not carbide or ceramic. Looks like a coarse wood blade but it does the job.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Well I guess I'll go get myself some "Depends".

Reply to
Rich

I used a diamond blade in my 4" Makita grinder. It was more than the 2 or 3 carbide blades you will burn up but it survived for other things and I didn't smell up the house.

Reply to
Greg

next time ask for a ratchet pipe cutter. not that they will have it, but i think that is a more common name.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

I tried a sawsall once, and it did cut, but real slow, and tore up the blade pretty fast. I gave up on the sawsall, grabbed my angle grinder and it went right thru real fast. Use the THIN cutting wheels, not the thick grinding wheels. Be sure to cut all the way around. but you do not have to cut all the way thru. Then snap it with a hammer. One cheap angle grinder wheel should cut it.

Reply to
spamfree