Cash In A Flash - Gas Engine Repair

The morning chill bit through Drake Schnatter's worn jacket as he cruised up the aisles of the weekly flea market. Schnatter's eye scanned the vendor's wares until he found what he was looking for - a neglected, dirty lawn mower with a three horsepower engine. He bought the mower for five dollars and carried it away (the wheels were missing). One week later he sold the mower with fresh paint, new wheels, and an engine tune-up for $175. (Normally the price would have been $200, but Schnatter took $25 off because the customer brought in his old mower for trade-in.) Now he had an old snapper mower to work on and $175 in cash. Not bad for a five dollar investment.

If you have any knowledge about small gas engines (or are willing to learn) you could turn that interest into extra income. Schnatter started at age twenty and now invests the profits from his "hobby" in real estate. His secret is simple - find small gas engines, buy them cheap, and resell them at a profit.

I would like to share this information with you and more like it at:

NOSPAM

In an attempt to spam his web page, the OP overstated the prices. For $200 you can get a decent brand new mower. The repairing of old gas engines though, has been a hobby and source of income for many for as long as I can remember. The mowers, though sell for less than $100 in most cases.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They go for about fifty bucks here in the spring, when they look good and start on the first pull.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The price of mowers (push or riders) depends a great deal on the name. Honda and John Deere seems to be two of the biggest and bring the most in re-sale. Getting $200 out of a push mower isn't that far fetched if it is a Honda with all the goodies and in great shape.

Some people only buy Honda's or John Deere's. It is just my opinion, but I think all the engines out there today are just as good as the Honda's and Kawasaki's (used by Deere and others).

I ocaasionally buy Riders and other mowers, trimmers, blowers and etc. if i think I can make a few bucks.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

If I go to that site, do you promise it's not merely a come-on for a course in how to buy forclosed houses for $10 and sell them for $200,000?

Reply to
HeyBub

But, come to think of it, I have never ever known any rich repairmen. Some went on to own dealerships, and all the headaches and heartaches that entails, but I have never known just a repairman who was rich.

But, yeah, a decent mechanic (or welder) can always make a buck, especially in this market where people are repairing things instead of tossing or getting a new one.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've had a few others, but my JD with Kawasaki is already outlasting and has been out-performing since day one. After 10 years, it still starts on the first pull after sitting all winter. I had a Cub Cadet with a B&S that got harder to start every year and I gave up in year 4.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I worked in my old man's shop a couple times one vacation and was good freinds with a couple others. Yes, you can make money at it, not you will not get rich. People will not pay what the work is worth. Just the usual clean-up alone before even startign the repair work kills any real world profit. Look at it as a 'small change and beer money' business.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

[SPAM link SNIPPED]

If you're going to reply to a spammer, could you *at least* remove the link to the spammer's webpage?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

d beer money'

You are correct. I make a little more than "beer money" working on ATV's and motorcycles, but still ain't gonna get rich. Mowers, not so much. It is more of a hobby for me since I retired. I enjoy it and people save money and I make a little. It's all good.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

I have a Cub Cadet riding mower with a Kohler. It is about 10 years old and I haven't done anything other than routine maintenance. I bought it new, so that helps. :-)

In reality, ANY motor can fail, or last a lifetime, but Hondas do have a reputation for longevity.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

used mowers sell in the 50 buck to 75 buck range.

I repair office machines for a living.

Always busy but never got rich:(

Been doing this since 1975 ........ 1984 bought out what was left of my old employeer.

you dont get rich.........

Reply to
bob haller

What idiot pays $175 for a 3 HP walk behind mower? When I used to fix mowers for a second hand shop, they brought in between $30 and $50 for 3 HP walk behinds. With no power drive. New ones about $100 at Walmart.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I like the part on the site that says you can make loads of money starting your own video tape rental store. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I acquired an old Simplicity rider. The engine was out of it and had a broken rod. Thinking someone could use it for parts, I put it on eBay with a starting bid of $.99 with a "must pick up" listing. Some guy drove 6hours from upper Michigan to come and get it after he won the bid with a $150. I would have never guessed that would happen. I had to ask him what he was going to do with it and he said he would stick another motor in it and enter it in a lawn tractor demolison derby. He said it is hard to find old riders that have the frame that one had. I guess they are bored up there.

So, weird things do happen.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

That's my kind of success story. I've got assortment of failure stories. My Dad's Coleman 5,000 watt generator wouldn't start, during one power cut. A "helpful" neighbor screwed the spark plug out and give it a big squirt of ether. Washed the oil off the piston walls, and locked up the motor. Managed to get the piston freed, and then it ran for a half second, and threw a rod. I sold the generator, which cost $500 new, on Ebay, and got $75. If he'd sprayed ether on the air filter, it woulda likely started the engine right up, and ran fine. Dad would still be using it, today.

I've never made any useful money on Ebay. Spent a lot, of course.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon