Casement window air conditioners

Does anyone have any recommendations for casement window air conditioning units? I have a narrow casement window in the bedroom and would like to avoid a through the wall unit.
TIA,
Nathan Zimmerman
--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to despam

A nickel ain\'t worth a dime anymore --Yogi Berra
see energystar search with only a couple of your descriptive casement items at: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=roomac.search_room_air_conditioners
Nathan Zimmerman wrote:

http://www.nextag.com/casement-window-air-conditioner/search-html

If your casement windows are wood, I'd look again at wall-throughs, or at least removing the casement in question and replacing it with a temporary plexi panel above the a/c unit or something. My grandmother, and my mother after she took over that house, continually left the casements open in wet weather, since the overhang kept the rain out. However, the casement frame itself was in the weather, and it was pure hell on them. I had to do a buttload of work on those windows when it came time to sell the place. And these were good windows, Andersons (1961 vintage), that ordinarily are very durable.
aem sends....
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.invalid says...

I gave up and did a through-wall under the bedroom window. Casement windows may look purdy, but they're useless as...
--
Keith

Besides being 'purdy' (assuming I understand this to mean 'pretty'), new casement windows are generally slightly more energy efficient than other styles of windows such as double-hung. I assume this is since the locking mechanism pulls the window closed tighter and since there isn't the wear of the sliding parts they seal tighter over the long run.
That said, they aren't easy to use with even the standard casement A/C unit. I had to pull out the entire crank and lock mechanism and drill two small holes to fasten the mounting hardware for the older style windows I use to have. Installing a thru-the-wall unit would still be more work, but it still wasn't as simple as the A/C units for double-hung.
says...

What I did some years ago for a couple of people was to replace the window. I put the Ac in the bottom of the window opening, then installed a shorter window above it. You lose some window space, you have the AC in position year round, but you have a window that can be opened on nice days. Just check to see that the new window still meets code for minimum size.
snipped-for-privacy@excite-no-spam-me.com says...

Yes. They're designed for a more "modern" look. ;-)

They may seal a bit tighter, but half the cranks are stripped on mine (another one went today). They stick out in the rain when opened (have to run the AC whenever it rains in the summer). Can't put an AC in them (easily). I'd *never* have them again. Gack!

Through wall isn't easy, but putting it under the window simplified things quite a bit (other than the wiring going through there.
--
Keith

The AC's for them are small, right? Don't cool much. Only have a very few models. Plus an AC keeps you from opening the window, and cuts the sunlight that comes in by 1/3 or 1/6th.

How big of a unit? You can expect to pay $300 or more for a modest size. Only a couple of brands available as they are a small market.

We have this one: http://www.bizrate.com/airconditioners/pid301849614 / It works quite well and comes w/ a handy remote. Ok, so I have never used the remote .. but if you needed one, it has one ;) I'm thinking that ours was a little less than $300.

I have this one, a Whirlpool:
http://www.bizrate.com/airconditioners/pid11509437/compareprices.html
...installed through the wall, though (the dimension suited the particualr wall space), it's new; I'm happy with it so far.
Banty

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:34:42 -0400, Nathan Zimmerman

Freidrich or Fedders. Casement Window units are small so if it's a big bedroon you're screwed. Just make sure the unit will fit into the window before lugging it home.
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:34:42 -0400, Nathan Zimmerman

When I moved in the previous owner had a junky-looking casement AC in the bedroom (which I had her discard). The inside window sill was rotted. I have a portable AC now which requires sticking a vent out the window. Because I have no place to store it, it is not the optimal situation. Fortunately for most days around here, open windows and a fan is sufficient.
If the casement AC doesn't work out, a portable might be an option.