Casablanca Fan Makes Thumping Noise

I have three 20+ year old Casablanca fans. One makes a knocking/thumping noise at the same point in each revolution - go around, thump . . . around, thump . . . around, thump.

It's been doing this off and on for 5 years. Recently it has become louder and persistent. The Casablanca Fan Company are a customer unfriendly bunch. I call them to ask what causes this and how I can fix it. They offer to locate a "certified" Casablanca repair service near me.

[Off topic rant: The speed control circuit board in another failed. This is two customer unfriendly outfits in a row. About a month ago I called InSinkErator about my garbage disposer and got the same 'Get lost. We're only interested if we can get more money out of you' reply. Given the ridiculously high price and low reliability of their fans combined with their customer non-support attitude, they've guaranteed I'll never buy another Casablanca fan.]

A few years ago an acquaintance said it has something to do with the flywheel needing to be repositioned, or something like that. Anybody know how I can fix this?

jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ.

jim evans

This is Turtle

I have had ceiling fans in my house for 25 years and in that time 3 or 4 times the fans would start making a thumping noise on each round and I would tighten up all the screws of the blades and it would stop. Tighten up both sets of screws as the ones holding the blade and the ones holding the blade holder to the motor. A thumping noise in my case was loose blades everytime.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks for your reply.

In this case it's in a bedroom with no fireplace. I just looked at their website and they say they'll fix a flywheel for $45. Seems like it's probably worth that much to keep the fan. Don't these fans cost about $300-$400? It has run night and day for about 9 months of the year for 25 years. Any reason to think it won't go another 25 after the flywheel repair?

jim

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Thanks for your reply.

Holding each blade and trying to move it up-down and side-to-side and twist relative to the fan body I have seen no looseness/play where the blades connect to the blade holders or where the blade holders connect to the fan body.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Reply to