Casablanca Fan Makes Thumping Noise

I have three 20+ year old Casablanca fans. One makes a knocking/thumping noise at the same point in each revolution - go around, thump . . . around, thump . . . around, thump.
It's been doing this off and on for 5 years. Recently it has become louder and persistent. The Casablanca Fan Company are a customer unfriendly bunch. I call them to ask what causes this and how I can fix it. They offer to locate a "certified" Casablanca repair service near me.
[Off topic rant: The speed control circuit board in another failed. This is two customer unfriendly outfits in a row. About a month ago I called InSinkErator about my garbage disposer and got the same 'Get lost. We're only interested if we can get more money out of you' reply. Given the ridiculously high price and low reliability of their fans combined with their customer non-support attitude, they've guaranteed I'll never buy another Casablanca fan.]
A few years ago an acquaintance said it has something to do with the flywheel needing to be repositioned, or something like that. Anybody know how I can fix this?
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

This is Turtle
I have had ceiling fans in my house for 25 years and in that time 3 or 4 times the fans would start making a thumping noise on each round and I would tighten up all the screws of the blades and it would stop. Tighten up both sets of screws as the ones holding the blade and the ones holding the blade holder to the motor. A thumping noise in my case was loose blades everytime.
TURTLE
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:07 -0600, "TURTLE"

Thanks for your reply.
Holding each blade and trying to move it up-down and side-to-side and twist relative to the fan body I have seen no looseness/play where the blades connect to the blade holders or where the blade holders connect to the fan body.
jim
While I still believe Casablanca fans are the best you can buy, they've always had one major flaw, The flywheel, which is what you screw the blades onto is attached to the motor,I suppose by some sort of vulcanizing process, and occasionally they simply separate. In my experience,(having installed hundreds of these) it happens most often when the fan is hung in a room with an active fireplace, leaving me to believe that dry heat affects them. Anyway, if this is what is happening, its not something you can fix and probably isn't worth sending the fan to Casablanca. Incidentally, there was a time when Casablanca service was excellent, then Hunter fan bought the company.

Thanks for your reply.
In this case it's in a bedroom with no fireplace. I just looked at their website and they say they'll fix a flywheel for $45. Seems like it's probably worth that much to keep the fan. Don't these fans cost about $300-$400? It has run night and day for about 9 months of the year for 25 years. Any reason to think it won't go another 25 after the flywheel repair?
jim
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:46:14 -0500, "RBM" <rmottola1(remove

jim
No reason at all. The fans, especially an older one are excellent in all other respects. $45 sounds fine as long as they don't charge you an extra hundred for shipping and insurance