Carting materials: Trailer or beater truck, van?

Page 2 of 2

If you decide to go with the pickup, you don't need a bed big enough to lay sheetgoods flat, you just need a chunk of 3/4" plywood to put under everything else.
Note that The towing capacity of an Impreza is only 1000#, unless the trailer has it's own brakes. and the trailer itself is likely to be about 1/3rd of that.
When comparing the relative costs of a special-purpose pickup or van, (I'd go with a cargo van, myself), remember that the van gives you an extra vehical, more capacity, and doesn't add wear or threaten the health of the other vehical compared to a trailer, but that you don't have to pay insurance or much in the way of taxes on a trailer.

Thanks for the reply. Just saw this interesting new trailer, folds up, only $450 (minus shipping, may be available locally) http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/749TC.htm . You know your stuff, shipping weight is 280#'s! Thanks for the towing figure on the Subaru, sounds about right. I see a lot of Imprezas around here w/hitches, of course I have no idea what they're hauling, given the area (Seattle) probably small boats mostly. I think ~500#'s/trip would be sufficient for me.

Look around, you should be able to find them locally.
Our Canadian Tire store chain has carried these things for at least 5 years now. Lists for about $450CDN (<$400US), often lower in sales.
I'd suggest this "package":
http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/749TC-TS48BX.htm
It's a lot flimsier than our JDJ (non-folding), and probably not much cheaper.
If you're going as cheap as possible and aren't going to have a better towing vehicle than the Impreza, this is the same cargo size, max GVW 1000lb:
http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/850TA.htm
--
Chris Lewis,

harbor freight sells nice trailers cheap.
the convenience of tools like this far outweighs the cosat of a trailer, unless all your friends start asking for use of you.:(
truck insurance, repairs etc, a loser.
although i have a mini van for much hauling

Thanks for the reply. Forgot about them, this looks like a possibility:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber154

note in pennsylvania getting a title and plate take some time, so purchase in advance and check on local regulations.
the nice thing about trailers, they require no additional insurance, you vehicle insurance automatically covers the towed trailer.

note in pennsylvania getting a title and plate take some time, so purchase in advance and check on local regulations.
the nice thing about trailers, they require no additional insurance, you vehicle insurance automatically covers the towed trailer.
????? Not around here- In MI, one of the questions when adding a car to policy, or starting new policy, is if it has a trailer hitch.
aem sends....

Just FYI you can find a similar trailer at Harbor Freight for a little over $200. After buying mine about 2 years ago, I am so please with it I'd keep it even if I did someday buy another pickup truck.
www.harborfreight.com, then search for trailers. They have retail stores in many areas also.

Thanks Larry. Yeah I saw this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber154 I think it's just what I need.

If you have a vehicle that's suitable for towing, you simply can't beat a trailer for economy and convenience. Renting or delivery is always a possibility, but, having your own trailer means that you'll use it a lot more than you thought you would.
The Impreza might be a bit undersized for this task, so, it's worth checking. If you're going to be limited to city/suburban driving, it should be fine. We originally towed our trailer (that's 500lb empty) with a Nissan Multi which has a 500lb tow limit. With loads of > 2000lb once or twice. Very gently...
For general haulage, a 4x8 trailer like the one pictured here is about the very best choice:
http://www.jdjtrailers.com/industrial-cargo-haulers-ICH.html
Our JDJ trailer looks just like the ICH4X8, so I assume the specs are the same.
The bed is actually 50"x98", so, getting 4x8 sheets in and out is easy.
Back when we bought ours (over 10 years now I think), a new one with a 2000lb rating was $800, and the 3500lb was $1200 new. Canadian dollars - at the time that was around 550US and 900US.. I haggled the 3500lb one down to $1000CDN.
Note the steel sides and railings. It also has steel rope loops for tiedowns, and the tail lights are just about indestructable (being mounted inside 4" angle iron).
JDJ looks like they've dropped the 2000lb version, and who knows what they charge now. JDJ is Canadian. They have US distributors. The design is pretty simple, so I'm sure that there are US makers of trailers very similar to that.
We have often taken ours on trips of several hundred miles at a go. Handles very well. Mind you, now that's been with a SUV with a 5500lb capacity.
We probably have had this trailer loaded to its limit.
The only mods we've made were to sling a piece of 3/4" sheathing in to protect the floor, and stick a jackstand with wheel to make it easier to move by hand.
--
Chris Lewis,

Before you go out and buy a trailer, rent one some weekend and take off for some remote spot in the country where you can fool around with it, practicing, in particular, how to back up in a straight line, then turn a corner (backwards) and put it PRECISELY between two marks. If you can do this with finesse after a couple of hours, then get a trailer. If you constantly muff the handling, get a truck. The thing that city boys don't know and farm boys have in their genes, is that trailers are not always driven forward and the most important part of the journey is getting the load to the site and that involves backing up. For you macho types who think you can do it like ranch hands, just try making it with a 4 wheel trailer going up a slope backwards...but that's another story. HTH
Joe