Carrier Weathermaker - no heat

I have a Carrier Weathermaker furnace that I purchased used from a heating/air conditioning dealer that told me it was working when I bought it. I've since installed it in a new office and have no heat from it. Here's what I've done so far:

1.) Hooked everything up (gas, ventillation, electricity, thermostat) and know that the gas and ventillation is correct - I have gas flow and the ventillation is a short run (about 5 feet) on schedule 40 2" plastic pipe. Powered up furnace and shows no errors (flashing) on the LED on the control board. LED is steady red. Blower comes on, but no gas valve turns on, no ignitor - no heat. All I get is the blower motor. Exhaust fan does not exhaust either.

2.) Did the component test and everything worked. Blower motor came on, ignitor turned on (glowed) briefly, exhaust fam ran for the correct 5 - 10 seconds - looks like all the components were in good shape. Did it a second time and same thing - everything turned on and ran fine second time, too. So the components seem okay.

3.) Checked gas flow. Evacuated the air out of the new gas line and checked for gas - all okay. There is ample gas flow and it's there at the gas valve now.

4.) Initially tried a Honeywell digital thermostat and didn't work (no heat). Tried a manual Honeywell thermostat and same thing - no heat. Hookups are: red to red, green to green, white to white, yellow to yellow. No wiring changes on either thermostat - no heat.

Not sure what to do next. Does this furnace need wiring differences from standard thermostats or is there something else wrong? Component test and control board LED tell me that the furnace should be in good shape and should run - but still no heat.

Anyone out there know what I'm doing wrong or need to do to make this furnace run? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Reply to
martywittrock

Put a jumper wire from Wh to Rd right on the furnace terminal strip (where thermostat connections are made). Just to eliminate any problems in the 'stat wiring.

Still no joy, remove jumper and put AC voltmeter across Wh and Rd terminals to see if 24V control voltage is reaching the terminals. If no 24V, backtrack thru the fuse/interlocks to find out why.

Is there a diagram on the furnace panel somewhere?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi, I have some experience with Weathermaker. Sounds like it is 'stat wiring problem. Eliminate 'stat and try to control the furnace directly with jumper wire from the logic board. Often times color of wires don't match one on one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

does the thermostat by chance have both rc and rh terminals? If so, either use rh or jumper from rc to rh.

Reply to
Eric Houkal

The Carrier furnace I have has a jumper already on the control board between the red and green terminals, and my Honeywell thermostat only has connections for White, Yellow, Red and Green (which are hooked up identically to the furnace terminal colors on the Control Board). Would the Red and Green terminals be equivalent to rh and rc? Please do respond back, this is more info than I've had in the past 2 weeks......thanks for the reply back!

Reply to
martywittrock

Tried Speedy Jim's suggestion of connecting red to white on the furnace control board and everything is working with the furnace now -

- that did the trick! Thanks very much, Jim, and all that wrote to help me, too.

Marty

Reply to
martywittrock