Carrier Infinity noisy??

Looking on the Carrier page it indicates that the Infinity remote is a 2 stage compressor. The page indicates that the package unit is a scroll compressor. You do not indicate what the installation is so just a WAG it is normal. My scroll compressor does the same thing when it first turns on.

Have you called the installer and asked them for a check out?

Reply to
AlanBown

Hello group.. Hoping some of the AC guys are listening in. Have a brand new house with a Carrier Infinity system. We moved in last November so just now getting to use the air conditioning. One thing I have noticed is when the compressor turns on, it seems to make a substantial buzz (compressor sound, not like a relay or contactor) and as the pressure goes up, it goes down quite a bit..I may have been spoiled with my Lennox HS21 in my old house, but that one you could barley hear but the condensor fan..It seems to cool well and as mentioned, it quiets down about 15 seconds after starting up but that initial startup about made me jump out of my skin! (I was doing some landscaping nearby) Just wanted to check to see if they are a bit noisy, if this is normal...

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John

Hi Alan.. Don't think it's a scroll..It's a two cylinder and on low speed it goes one way and only one cylinder runs, and when it kicks into high that it goes the other way activating both pistons..Here is the manual for it:

explains on page 12 how the compressor operates..It's a 38TBD condensor.

It's a standard split residential system, Is that what you mean? I think it's four ton but not even sure... I haven't call them yet, being I live 35 miles from where they are I don't want to look stupid calling out for service when it's normal..Like I said I may be spoiled with my old quiet Lennox..That thing sounded like a box fan running..You couldn't even hear the compressor..But it was inside an insulated box where this one is simply wrapped in some insulative blanket..I don't know anyone else who has an Infinity to go have a listen..But maybe I should call the installing company just to be safe... John

Reply to
John

The Affinity is a good unit, but not as silent as Carrier would like to claim...as you are finding out. In a nutshell, scrolls ARE a bit louder on startup, and this can be overcome with what is called a compressor blanket. Its possible that the unit is a base model Affinity and it does not come with one, or its been removed, OR, you have a compressor that is letting you know somethings on the way out...be it a cap, or a compresssor itself. Scroll failures are no longer rare as more and more are in service.

Being that you are in a new home, it is also very possible that the installing contractor halfassed the charge for whatever reason....suggest that since the unit is still under warranty, to call the installing contractor, and have them take a listen.

Reply to
webmaster

It explains on page 12 how the compressor operates..It's a 38TBD condensor.

Look though the fan when it is not running. Is the compressor covered with a blanket?

If not you CAN buy a compressor blanket which will lower the db's.

I bought one for my brothers Goodman/Janatrol/Janajunk. He never put it on. So one family gathering I got the nephews to help me and I shut off the a/c. Which pissed off his wife. Took all of 10 minutes to pull the top on the condenser and velcro the blanket into position. Turned the a/c back on and enjoyed some fine light Mexican champagne on the patio. Not more than 10 minutes later out comes wifey, "What is wrong with the a/c, it does not make THAT noise any more?" Job well done and the blanket was less than 40 bucks. Check Johnstone Supply I know they have them Your manufacture will probably have them as well.

Reply to
AlanBown

"AlanBown" wrote

fine light Mexican champagne??

Now, you GOT to be either talking about:

1) Corona Light Beer 2) Tequiza (that stuff made by Anheiser Busch)

or

You are doing shots of tequila with a ginger ale chaser.......

;-]

Mexican Champagne has to be an oxymoron.......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab