Carrier Infinity - Emergency Heat Comes On Too Often

We have 2 Carrier Infinity Units and I suspect our installer may not unders tand them.

When the ambient temperature outside is, say 45, the emergency heat kicks o n. And it stays on for a long time. I know because I check the Energy Tra cking and there is a lot of usage under "Electric Heat" (as opposed to Heat Pump). I would have thought this would only happen if there is a real disp arity between indoor and outdoor temperatures.

Our installer says that the only way to fix this is to completely disable t he emergency by selecting "heat pump only" in "Heat Source" on the thermost at. Surely that isn't the design of the system, is it? Any suggestions.

Thermostat: Model SYSTXCCITC01-A Fan Unit: Model FEFANF005 Heat Pump: Model 25HNB948a00310 Second System:

Thermostat: Model SYSTXCCITC01-A Fan Unit: Model FEFANF005 Heat Pump Model 25HNB936A00310

Reply to
kaufmannrl

Do you mean it stays on even thermostat set temp is reached? Heater should go off then and blower will run little longer to retract residual heat.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

How old is the systems? Did they check the refrigerant level? If heat pump is not working normal, heat strip will be on like that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Is the compressor on at the same time? I don't have a heat pump, but I thought if it's 45 out, it's likely that the heat pump runs all the time, since its heat output is low. If it's not going to be able to reach the thermostat setting, it will turn on the electric heat, but I don't know the algorirth for that.

Does it rush to reach the temp right away or does it wait to see how well the heat pump does? These days I woud think it could calculate what the heat pump will do in the next 30 minutes and if the answer is fail to reach the set temp, turn on t he electric heat.

How long have you had the system? Did it always work this way? Has somethin gchanged? What? Is your total electric usage within what they told you it would be? How far off? Same questions abou tBTUs. Any other info you have is also needed.

Reply to
Micky

erstand them.

s on. And it stays on for a long time. I know because I check the Energy Tracking and there is a lot of usage under "Electric Heat" (as opposed to H eat Pump). I would have thought this would only happen if there is a real d isparity between indoor and outdoor temperatures.

e the emergency by selecting "heat pump only" in "Heat Source" on the therm ostat. Surely that isn't the design of the system, is it? Any suggestions .

I'd go find the install manual for the heat pump and the thermostat. I have them for mine, but then I have a Rheem and you can find them on the internet. With Carrier, IDK, wouldn't be surprised that you can't find it online. With those, you can figure out what the possible settings are.

Reply to
trader_4