Carrier hp system install nightmare

Were manual calculation done? It is pretty typical for the upstairs to be hotter, heat rises. I once saw a guy put a 5 and 2 on a two story home. The small unit cooled the master bedroom and it never shut off in the summer. We ended up remodeling a new home to put doors at the top of the stairs to solve the problem. Home owner did not want to cut the exterior walls.

The unit comes on

T-stats are usually located under the return air.

Second the coolant line running from the compressor is 68

Not following the manufacture instructions is always a good way to void the warranty.

Also the vapor line had

Workmanship is a sore point for a lot of people. What is acceptable for one is not for another. Covering the outlet is a code violation.

Were there permits pulled? Has there been an inspection? If you have not paid them do not until they make everything right.

I have seen some pretty ugly air handler runs. But never one with as many

90's as you describe. Smells of inexperence or lack of knowlege.
Reply to
SQLit

We live in the panhandle of Florida. We have a two story house and had a 30 year old 4 ton system. We upgraded to two 2ton Carrier infinity systems. The upstairs unit does not cool properly. The unit comes on about 10am and runs all day on max until about 11pm. Some things I have noticed is that they installed the thermostat at the top of the stairs. seems to me that would be a hotshot that also has no registers. Second the coolant line running from the compressor is 68 feet in length. reading the install instructions that came with the units it states that vapor line lengths in excess of 50 feet require up sizing from 5/8 to 3/4. This was not done. Also the vapor line had

6 (yes 6) 90degree elbows. three of these elbows were at the air handler. They ran the tubing up 8 in. past the air handler connection then used three elbows to loop back down and into the air handler. There reply is that Carrier told them to do it. They could not say why!! At least two of the other elbows could have been eliminated in this run. The first floor unit was installed in the cabinet flush against the side wall covering up the dedicated 110 receptacle for the electronic air filter. the installer now wants to rewire the electrical disconnect to add another receptacle.

Now I'm paying a very large amount of money for all this. Is this the quality workmanship acceptable? The warrantee will run out before we get this payed off.

If there is any one here that is a Carrier dealer/ installer could you answer:

Should 3/4 tubing been used? Is it necessary for the tubing be looped up, over and back down at the air handler?? Should I move the thermostat to another room?

Thanks for your time

Reply to
OldSalt