Carrier Corp.

According to GOP debate last night Carrier Corp is moving to Mexico, = Good luck guys.

Reply to
Tony944

Some of it is:

Dean Hoffman

It was in the newspaper. 2000 jobs will be lost in Indiana. Sad situation for a lot of families.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The company I worked for pulled the same thing.

It was originally American owned but was bought out by the Japanese. Everyone got nervous even though they made no changes.

Eventually, a group of the original owners bought it back and everyone kind of breathed a sigh of relief as we became American again.

Then they did the patriotic thing and opened a new plant in Mexico and closed one of the US plants.

A sad reflection on the American workers: the quality of the product improved! This is not quite the fine country it used to be I'm afraid.

Reply to
philo

Presumably the GOP contenders prefer not to remember George Herbert Walker Bush's spearheading NAFTA, particularly his idiot son.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm pretty sure Trump brought it up. He was on a Bash Bush roll last night you would have enjoyed. He suggested taxing Carrier to force them to remain in the US. My favorite dig was that he (Trump) won NH and only spent $2M and Bush came in 4th but spent $44M. Then he asked "who do you want spending your tax money?" The talking heads said Trump lost the debate but I wouldn't be so sure. They've been so far off base this year that anything could happen.

It was quite a debate made all the more gladitorial by the cheering and booing crowds. Tough questions were asked and evaded and the mudslinging was epic. Whomever survives will be beaten to a pulp before facing the Democratic candidate. One thing's for sure. Somewhere in the Cruz family tree there are weasel genes. He's able to distort the truth the way only a lawyer could. The only way it could be more of a spectacle would be to have them wear togas and fight with broadswords.

Reply to
Robert Green

And when it's all said and done and one of them gets the nomination, the others will have to suck it up and some how find the gonads to support the party and it's candidate.

Reply to
Muggles

In most cases but I think some Republican elected official from Georgia said a few weeks ago that if Trump is nominated, he will vote Democratic.

Reply to
Micky

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:50:34 -0600, philo wrote in

It hasn't been since circa 1968. But until around the mid 1960s we really didn't have much manufacturing competition. WWII pretty much destroyed the manufacturing capability of Britain and Europe. If you wanted to buy a manufactured product more complex than a hammer, you had to buy it from America. That provided a lot of jobs without competition; but those days are gone.

Reply to
CRNG

With the absolute hatred many R's have for Hillary I don't see Trump losing many votes to her despite the claims that you've heard about.

Trump's pretty clever. He defended Planned Parenthood for attending to women's health issues at the debate. He correctly noted how much more they do for women than abortions. Risky, but it appeals to a lot of women of both sides who can say to their husbands "Oh yes dear, I voted for X in the primaries" when they secretly voted for The Donald.

It's the same reason why gun control fails. Lots of liberals talk about banning guns but they really mean banning OTHER people's guns and have their own in the nightstand drawer. In the privacy of the voting booth, they vote for what they *talk* against. It's the reason why despite decades of trying to roll back Social Security, M-care and Obamacare, nothing's happened and even worse, Bush helped created Part D Medicare to pay for people's drugs. While Americans seem to oppose the welfare state in theory, in practice they like it and despite the claims to the contrary the bulk of government spending is on the middle class, not the poor.

Trump's already angling to get a lot of independent/undecided women who can't quite bring themselves to vote for Hillary even in the name of feminist solidarity.

In the debate he really struck gold when he said "I spend $2M to win in NH but Jeb spent $44M to come in fourth. That shows Trump knows how to get the most bang out of each buck of campaign spending and that he might be able to spend our tax dollars just as effectively. He certainly knows how to get free publicity.

Reply to
Robert Green

I live in Milwaukee, which is still a manufacturing city but only a fraction of what it once was.

Back in the 60's there were large factories of course, but almost everywhere small machine shops etc.

Also numerous foundries and tanneries.

As one would drive into town, you could see the smoke and haze everywhere and there were many sections of town (near the tanneries especially) that stank so badly, we'd drive miles out of our way to avoid.

The air is clean now and all the tanneries are gone.

So it's a trade off...I understand that the air in China is almost too bad to breathe.

How odd that in the 21st century, Communist China has "out-capitalized" the US ...

Who would want to live there with the pollution and the near-slave labor?

Reply to
philo

Ross Perot can now comment on the giant sucking sound.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

New Equipment shipped with bilingual instructions; written in English also for gringos.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What bothers me the most about today's politics is that both sides are busy trying to assess blame for the job situation but no one is really addressing the non-political causes of job loss. You can't assume that by giving the "job creators" money that they will actually create jobs and not buy robots or build off-shore plants. Nor can you assume that training people for jobs that don't exist will fix things. Carrier took state training money and is leaving anyway. That's pissed a lot of people off.

I think Carrier may have really stepped on their expansion valve making this move at this particular moment in the prez campaign. Something tells me they're about to be made an example of, by whom I don't yet know but when Trump yells out "let's tax the hell out of them" the dice are clearly rolling.

NAFTA provided lots of Americans with cheap goods so they wouldn't notice that it was sucking jobs out of the US like a giant vacuum cleaner.

The greater threat than Mexico or even ISIS is marked on the bottom of most things found in American houses these days: "Made in China." America's ability to produce so much shale oil and gas has disrupted the world's economy profoundly. It's more than likely that will cause serious social unrest in places that depended on oil revenue. If some of the theorists are right, the world economy could be in the toilet just in time for the election. Maybe the economic tide that swept Obama in will accompany his exit.

Reply to
Robert Green

A few years ago I took apart a failed electronic device that was marked "Made in the USA," but the circuit board inside said "Made in China." Apart from the circuit board all there was was a plastic case. So *what* was "Made in the USA"? Or did they simply mean "Assembled in the USA"?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Typical lib, blame America for everything. Like our increased oil production is the cause for more goods being manufactured in China. Only a loon could make that equation.

Yeah, better that oil stay at $100 to finance the likes of Putin. And as if we haven't seen the rollercoaster ride in oil prices before.

We're in a lot of trouble, but it has nothing to do with low oil prices. For a look at the real problem, consider that interest rates are at zero, the govt is running a horrific $450 bil deficit, and the economy is still weak.

Reply to
trader_4

LOL

Trump isn't angling to appeal to anyone except the narrow base of his existing Trumpies. Polls consistently show that he has the highest negatives and does poorest when matched up against Hillary or Bernie, losing to both. He got 35% of the GOP and that was his peak, because the rest are appalled by him. Actually, some talking head had it right. The Trump voters are people who claim to be GOP, but hate all the GOP politicians. Mr T here is a prime example. He spits on all the GOP, calls then Rinos, etc. But Trump, who really isn't a GOP at all, he adores.

Really? To the rest of us it just showed why a lot of time is wasted at the debates on insults and nonsense. How much Trump spent versus anyone else is irrelevant. On a related topic, what I do find interesting is Trump's continual lie that he's self-funding his campaign. Most of the millions he's spent has come from donor, not him, yet instead of acknowledging them, thanking them, he disses them, ignores what they have done for him, at every opportunity. And they are so dumb, that they probably just send him more money.

Reply to
trader_4

They should also remember it was Hillary's hubby who finally got the deal done, at the same time he was also doing GATT. Walmart had already changed from being "America's store" to being the China outlet mall while Hillary was on the board of directors. I wonder if the Waltons are still sending them money.

Reply to
gfretwell

They probably meant "you Americans are so stupid you'll believe anything!" The initial interest in being good trading partners had faded, I think, and now it's make money however you can, even with poisoned baby formula and pet food. Like the overseas VOIP nuisance callers they have probably learned that no one's there to stop them from committing nickel and dime fraudulent mislabeling. And worse.

Reply to
Robert Green

Trump appeals to me and many others because of the rotten people that are in now and are running. I don't want any of the other Repubilcans and certainly do not want either of the Democrats. It is time to shake up the way things are in Washington now. Several elections ago I don't know who I actually voted for. Could not stand Bush and did not want a Democrat so just checked off the independant that was on the ballot. While I knew he would not win, if enough voted for the independant then things may change or maybe the indepenadant will actually get in.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery