Carrier Central AC uses 1597 watts , mystery wattage question

The Carrier Infinity AC running at low speed (4 ton unit) which runs at the low speed the majority of the them when it kicks in only sucks up 1597 watts, now my pool pump when it is running consumes consumes about 1500 watts. My home with only the refrigerator, 2 ceiling fans running medium, and PC(asleep) and a few things plugged (ie TV,DVD etc.. but not running) sucks in 593 watts. The Compressor on the fridge was running, could the fridge be sucking in that many watts??? I do notice the fridge compressor running for extended periods.

Reply to
Hugo Drax

This is Turtle

I have seen refigerators pulling 1,000 watt and some ice makers will have a 400 watt heater in the ice maker to make the ice turn loose from the cups. So a Refrigerator can pull 800 to 1,500 watts depending on what is running at the time. Refrigerators can be energy hogs and you would not think so.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If you measured the Ac by itself test the frige by itself. My new frige pulls 90 watts old ones at least 3- 4x more. Plus you didnt measure the fans running, tv, computer, phones, alarmm GFIs ,etx etc by them selves.

Reply to
m Ransley

It could depending on the defrosting. I had a freezer that use a lot of electricity because the defrost was on a timer (pretty standard) but it was based on actual time instead of freezer run time. Maybe your defroster runs a lot of the time.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Wow I never thought they could suck that much juice.

I re-checked my poolpump it sucks 1572 watts

The nice thing is those new instant on fluorescent bulbs the 60w only uses

14w and the 100w uses 23w and they light the rooms just like the regular bulbs.

I rechecked the AC its 1837 when running as 26000btus and 3544 when running as 47000 btus my last measurement was off by 265 watts

I thought when a 15 seer is running it should consume 1733 watts I on the plus side of 104 watts in the lowspeed.

I did check after the AC was only running for about 5-10 minutes I am not sure if this will throw off the measurement since I heard ACs have to be running for a period of time before it settles?

its a 15 seer 4ton twospeed

MY house is so insulated that it is 82 degrees outside/60 humidity outside /

78 but inside 53% humidity inside (2000SQFEET) so this sould help powerwise :)
Reply to
Hugo Drax

I did a check its 175watts right now. and it seems not to have the modern insulation so it runs longer.

Reply to
Hugo Drax

How do you get this number? Did you use an ammeter? Or some other system?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is Turtle.

Tuirn the cooling on of the central system and let it run 15 minute + to make sure the seond stage has started for a lot of them have a 15 minute time delay before they shift to high speed.

Now I maybe busting your bubble here but checking the amp or watt draw of a 15 seer central system is a aist of your time to try to get a clear picture of what the amp draw is. Example 1 here : At 60ºf the 4 ton single stag will pull say

13 amps at 220 volt service. At 95ºF the 4 ton single stag will or may pull 22 to 25 amps at 220 volt service. The amp or watt draw of the hvac system will change as the temperaturte goes of the outdoors between 12 and 26 amps depending on the temperaturte of the outdoors. Tring to tell what it cost to runs is going to be a guess at best.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

He used a wattmeter, silly!