Carrier 8000TS wiring colors

I got a programmable thermostat to replace a pretty simple Honeywell one that came with my house.

The instructions on the new programmable thermostat warned that it would not work with a 2 stage furnace. I even called their tech support and they confirmed that.

After some investigation I found out I have a Carrier 58UXT, and that it is a 2 stage furnace.

I went though the trouble of ordering a 2 stage programmable thermostat and hired a technician to install it. I looked at the his installation and realized it is connected exactly as the old thermostat was, just using

4 wires (red, yellow, white and green). He had nothing connected to the W2 pin. As far as I could understand that was the difference for the 2 stage furnace. There are 2 other wires (blue and tan) that are disconnected.

Does anyone know what those other 2 wires (blue and tan) are for? Can any of those be the for W2 connection?

Would the unit not work as it should because of that installation?

Can I just use the 1 stage thermostat instead since the wiring looks the same? I like it better because it has a remote control.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paulo

Reply to
paulo404a

Don't go by the wire color. There is no standard wire color scheme for thermostats. Look at what the wires are connected to and look at the installation instructions for the thermostat and furnace.

Reply to
M Q

You can use a single stage thermostat on a 2 stage furnace. Usually they will run on low stage for a certain time (around 10 min. give or take) then kick up to high stage after that. Depending on the way the furnace is sized, and the outside temperature, they will usually cycle off before that time though. Most furnaces have either a set of dip switches or pins/jumpers for sigle/two stage thermostats. On some you have to hook up W1 and W2 on the board, others just W!, and I confess I do not remember on a Carrier. Do you have the instruction manual for your furnace? If so it should tell you . Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

58uxt installation & operating instructions are here:

M Q