Carrier 5 ton thermistor blows

Hi,
Just got back from a job that's bugging me. I have a 2 Carrier 5 ton condensers (approx 8 years old) with blown thermistors. I think they may be on the same electrical circuit (which makes no sense - but they told me they had one tripped double pole breaker - I can't get into the mech room until tomorrow morn), I had no power before the disconnects of either one.
ANy ideas why the thermistor would blow? They are wired into the start circuit with a start capacitor (no start relay)... Do they just get old and die??
Thanks,
Mike
Umm... you are kidding....right? You post this in home.repair, and not over in alt.hvac?
Lemmie guess...you got no licence..