Carrier 38BR-030-3 Central AC

Unit wasn't working. Contractor came over and replaced 30 AMP fuse and charged me $125, $42 for the fuse alone. What a joke. I paid because of bitch reasoning, in other words I have something to complain about to the contractor when I go to kill him tomorrow.
So now to the real question. Pressure and temperature are good. Compressor is fine. When the unit "spins" everything gets cool. But the unit after working for a couple hours, turns off. Now once I turned the breakers off and restarted and all was OK for about 4 hours. Then unit shut off again. I can't keep on playing with the breakers, and don't want to for the unit's sake.
Had contractor tell me compressor is fine and freon level is good. What could be wrong with the thing? - Thanks!
P.S. It is not something simple and I deem it to be something electrical. And yes, I can use a thermostat, even if it is programmable. I did graduate in Engineering, but that only qualifies me to be an idiot when it comes to servicing HVAC equipment. Thank god I sell mortgages now...
Carrier's Web Site sux, and I can't find needed troubleshooting manuals. Be that as it may, I don't want to take on the project anyway, because supposedly I have a 10 year parts and labor warranty on all my Carrier equipment; another thing I will bitch about tomorrow.
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:08:51 -0700, "CBHvac"

----------- You know what they say; _ _ _ _ 'em if they can't take a joke...

When I state how the unit is reacting and some idiot installs a fuse and walks away, it's stupidity - not "ignorance is bliss"... and you would be correct... labor is not free when things are done correctly. Hey, poet in the making with no meter.

---------- now we are getting to the answers; about time. Don't know what you are talking about here, but I'll take your word for it.

------------ Yes, just did. Stated the compressor was burnt out and ordered new parts. Another guy came that knew what he was doing

----------- That's exactly what the person did... have a 10 year warranty on Carrier equipment I had installed 8 years ago, so I am FORCED to have them back

Agreed; just did that - but had to be from same company due to warranty

------------- And some of us deem that a stable central air conditioner is more personable and knowledgeable than a bad HVAC mechanic, so we'll leave it at that.

------------- Funny; you can get schematics from major TV manufacturers online, and you sure don't have to be certifed to get them. So I don't have to guess. The site sucks.

------------ Bought it new, it's 8 years old, and receipt says 10 year parts and labor warranty on ALL Carrier Equipment installed with the exception of the humidifier, which has 2 year parts and labor - so what's good is I figured out how to read. And if a lawyer is a step above a "mortgage lending agent", then maybe I'll just use one if the warranty isn't followed.

------------ Agreed, it was bought by me, new 8 years ago
Thanks for the help and info!!

Yup...but these days, got to be careful..lol

Perhaps not stupidity...lack of training....when you get a guy like that, chances are, his "stupidity" isnt due to himself..but his higher ups...

LOL..not a prob..most dont, and they assume that when the gauges are on, its telling the tech wonderful things...they are not. Not always..

Bingo.
Good.
NO...No..no..no..no you dont. COMMOM mistake....hell, I can do Carrier warranty...I can do Trane warranty....I am not an ICP, or American Standard dealer..

See above.

You got that right...lol

Major TV repair techs are not governed by the local, state, and federal levels...ahh...people forget that this trade is the most licenced there is, and why its so.

LOL...ok..but if you are LOCKED in to the installing company that installed it originally...see a lawyer for sure..

NP...and good luck..hope all works out.

Got ya, makes sense

Yep, all the gauges did was check for pressure and temperature, which according to you, doesn't mean much, so you were correct - I kind of guessed it; didn't really look close enough

blower motor, and control board. I may be very wrong about that

I went to Carrier's site, and it looked like they give a 5 year warranty. I was assuming the contractor added another 5 years because it is a decent size company. I thought I had to go back to them, wasn't sure. Still don't know, but they already have it figured out and are ordering the parts

Good to know; I did not know that tidbit above
---- Again, thanks much for the help!!!!!!!!