Carpeting Installation

We are buying a home that will require us to replace all doors, casing, baseboard, and carpeting upstairs before we move in. Is it better to install carpeting before the casing & baseboard is installed, or after? Just wondering what the Pros/Cons are to each approach.

Thanks,

-Mike Bittel

Reply to
Mike Bittel

I think since you'll be replacing all the baseboard molding with brand new stuff, you should let the installer lay the carpet first.

You'll usually get some damage to your baseboards when carpet is installed. I'm not saying that the installer intentionally damages the baseboards...it's just very easy to scratch it, dent it, etc.

Old moldings, when affected in this way, just look more "seasoned." New moldings looked damaged.

-Oldy

Reply to
Oldylocks

Do the baseboard and all carpentry and painting first. There is no easy way to get the baseboards in once the carpet is installed. Further, it is hell to paint baseboards with the carpet edge there. The small amount of damage to the baseboard paint by the rug installer may be easily touched up.

Reply to
Roger