Carpeting a wall

Looking for some info on from some of you who may have carpeted a wall successfully... Not a common project apparently since there is very little info on the net.

My wife and I have always liked the wall-carpet look of our local home theater, and as we're building a theater room in the basement, we're trying to replicate the look. My questions are thus:

We've picked out a fairly light indoor/outdoor carpet. How should I be looking to affix this to the walls? (unfinished drywall) There is indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive available, but it seems to be mostly made to adhere to concrete or wood. I was thinking Cove Base adhesive would work, as it's basically meant to bond carpet backing to drywall or plaster, but will that hold an entire carpet in place on a wall? (7 foot walls, 12 foot length)

I was planning on wrapping the carpet over the top of the wall frame, stapling into place, then adhering the carpet to the wall & smoothing out. What's the best way to smooth out the carpet on the wall? I was thinking of running a cut 2 x 4 over the wall working downward -- sufficient?

Between the stapling at the top and bottom, and the adhesive on the wall, I would think this would be enough to hold the carpet securely on the wall, but I'd love to hear some thoughts from anyone who may have done this before or has more experience w/carpeting.... This is all new ground for me. Thanks for any and all replies!!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Elias

Dan,

I'm sure your plan would hold the carpet in place just fine. The big issue you need to deal with is FIRE. Carpet is flame tested laying on the floor. In that configuration, it is a relatively flame resistant material.

Installed vertically on a wall is a whole different situation and most manufacturers would strongly recommend that you NOT install carpet vertically on a wall. Also, it is probable that any adhesive you use could have flammable properties which just compounds any problem created by a wall installation.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

As an aircraft owner and an engineer for a major carpet manufacturer, I can tell you that airplane carpet is as expensive as unicorn teeth. Forget that option unless you're Bill Gates.

There may (or may not) be a suitable carpet like material out there, but economical carpet won't be a safe product in that application, and safe carpet won't be economical...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

conventional

why couldn't one use a fireproofing chemical sprayed on the carpet? i know they make this since, for instance, drapes over tables at craft fairs have to have this done before they can be used.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Charlie,

This would be a question best answered by someone who is familiar with the spray-on fire retardants. I don't know anything about those products and/or how well they behave when applied to carpet.

It might even work... ;-)

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I believe Eurotex makes a line of carpet tested for walls.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker

another troll.

Reply to
mark Ranseley

Thanks for all the replies -- I've checked out Eurotex, and it appears to be EXACTLY what our local theater uses. Whether or not they'll sell in a smallish quantity to an end user remains to be seen. Thanks again, folks! Dan

Reply to
Dan Elias