Carpet wastage - rule of thumb?

We're considering having new carpeting installed. However, we've had a major discrepancy on our estimate of the quantity of carpet needed. When we replaced the carpet 18 years ago, we paid for 155 yds of carpeting. The current company's estimate is 180 yds.
Our area to be carpeted is approx. 1300 sq ft.
Is there any rule of thumb in the carpet industry as to how much wastage is considered normal? The 155 yds figure would represent about 8% wastage. The 180 yds estimate represents almost 26% wastage. A revised estimate (172 yrds) may put us closer to 20%.
The company we chose this time was highly recommended by our local Better Business Bureau, so we think? they're reputable.
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

I'd ask them why the difference. Some carpets have a "direction" though and often additional material is needed to make sure these line up.
Is the area relatively square or are there jigs and jogs that might need special layouts?
--
charles

All carpet has a directional component. It is pretty apparent when an installer makes a mistake and runs side by side pieces of carpet in different directions.
And, yes, this does impact the waste allowance between different jobs.
KB
you could try this site
http://www.improvenet.com/HomeOwner/ProjectTools/calc/carpet.html #
was your old carpet 12 or 15' wide the new carpet the same? how many seams do you have? will you have fewer?
This one shows both widths of carpet
http://html.local10.com/sh/idi/houseandhome/carpet /
Wayne

Very helpful.
Thanx much.

Owlman wrote:

wastage.
In addition to allowances for the lay of the carpet (direction), there is also pattern matching if it does have a pattern. Patterns can push the wastage way high.
Harry K
Fortunately, no patterns. It'll be a textured plush.
Thanx

Owlman wrote:

had
needed.
there
push
The texture in all that I have seen is a pattern and needs to be matched. Not nearly as much wastage as a true patterned carpet tho.
Harry K