Carpet vs hardwood for home sale?

The slider that was in my house was the builder's special cheap model. It was very difficult to open and often froze closed in very cold weather. I put the Pella in about 10+ years ago and it still opens and closes with one finger.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

...and popcorn ceilings!!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

what's with the popcorn ceilings anyways! all builders use them! My new house has NO popcorn ceilings! yipee.

Reply to
boubou

Nothign wrong with swinging patio doors. Sliders, let's see:

Mine is a quality Anderson.

Lousy job of sealing drafts out Constant problem keeping the track clean. Rollers are a bitch to change. Need a separate flimsy sliding screen if you want it open in nice weather. The screen comes off the track if you even breath on it wrong. Limited width for moving things in and out with no way to widen it. Poor security at least on mine, a couple flimsy little hooked pins is all it is.

I m sure there are other drawbacks. As for view - yes, it does give you that but is it that much more view than a good swinging patio door?

That is another "told ya so" for my wife and I remind her that I "told you so" when she insisted on having one evey time she bitches about it (same with the wallpaper).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

lol If I had my pick, I would have picked a garden door. Same view, no security issues.

Reply to
boubou

To be fair, I wasn't the one ragging on sliders. I certainly wouldn't put an aluminum model in a house here, but maybe a nice wood one. I think I'd rather have French doors.

Screw loooking at the snow falling. It just reminds me that I have to go out and shovel it. ;-)

Reply to
Keith

I have heavy "insulated" drapes on all the big windows (slider, bay, and a bow), but they're only a small help. When ice is forming on the inside of the door a little cloth isn't a big deal.

Reply to
Keith

Sorry to hear that Anderson is not up to par with that model. My Pella has no drafts, never needed changed rollers (this is our main door too), screen is sturdy and never came off the track.

How wide is your door that it is a limitation? Mine is an 8' and the true full opening is wider than any other door in the house, close to 4'. For security, there are two locks, one on the handle, the other on the track.

Our experiences are pretty close to complete opposite. I'd put in another tomorrow based on the good results with this door. As state in another post, the original put in by the builder was crap. This was expensive, but worth it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mine's a cheapie too, but it still (house is almost 20 years old) works fairly well. It kinda sticks if it's rammed home, but otherwise it rolls well. Were I planning to stay for several more years I'd likely put it on the upgrade list, but I'm not, so it's not.

Reply to
Keith

That's on my do_not_buy list, along with septic systems, wells, and unpaved roads. Ok, I'd *consider* a house with a septic system or well, for a few minutes anyway.

Reply to
Keith