Carpet vs hardwood for home sale?

Page 1 of 3
I'm planning on selling my home this spring. Currently I'm doing a lot of work to put it in as good shape as possible. The entire house has hardwood flooring (common 2 1/2 inch wide oak). Currently the living room, dining room, and master bedroom are carpeted over the hardwood. The carpet is in pretty skunky condition, not terribly worn, but very dirty. I've had carpet cleaners come in and it makes it a little better, but there's still a lot of stains.
So my question is what should I do with the flooring to improve saleability the most? I guess my choices are:
1. just get the carpet cleaned
2. install new carpet
3. remove the carpet and refinish the underlying hardwood flooring.
My wife in convinced that hardwood is far and away preferable to most buyers. Personally, I prefer carpet to hardwood flooring. I realize it is an individual thing, but are there any stats that say, for example, 75% of buyers prefer hardwood over carpeting?
The house is a contemporary ranch, located in central New Jersey, circa 1978, and has a full basement so these floors are not on a slab. Asking price will be somewhere in the range $450K - $550K.
Thanks

Your wife is right. Have you watched any of the DIY home improvement shows? The How to Sell Your House shows? Hardwood flooring is in right now and lots of carpeting is being torn out.
The buyer may take your brand new carpet and toss it to have the hardwood floors instead. OTOH, they can always carpet over it if they desire or get area rugs of their choosing. Freshly done floors will be a bit selling point. Brighten up the rooms with a neutral color paint too. I forget the cable channel, but look for a show called "Sell This House" for some ideas that can make you a big payback for small investments.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

It is to me
Id buy a hardwood floor over carpeting any day
Hardwood.

Hardwood and white paint is the way to go.
m Ransley wrote:

I prefer to use polyurethane on hardwood, but to each his own! ;)
An off-white or neutral paint for the walls would probably be more readily accepted by prospective buyers. True white is kind of harsh looking.
Hardwood floors are most certainly a premium flooring. Refinishing would also probably be less costly than all but the cheapest carpet.
Let me ask you this, if you were in the market to buy a house, would you put a small child on the floor to play in someone else's dirt. Listen to your wife, rip up the filthy carpet and toss it. In years to come you will see carpet disappear everywhere as people are starting to realize that carpet causes health problems and it is never fully cleaned even after shampooing. Carpet is an excellent place to breed all kinds of little unseen animals. Nice clean hardwood flooring is the only way to go plus it will add to the equity and up the value of your home. GpD

I agree 100%. Earlier this year we had all of our carpet pulled up and the floors either refinished or (in the case of our kitchen) installed. I bought one of those Shark electric sweepers and two Swiffers to keep the floors clean, and we are totally amazed at the amount of dirt we're picking up on a daily basis. It sickens me to realize that at least half of that dirt remained in our carpets and our grandbabies were crawling around in that filth! I think more of us are now aware of how unhealthy carpeting really is, so I'd definitely recommend to anyone looking for a quick house sale to do away with carpets and refinish the floors!!!
Liz
Liz wrote:

My opinion exactly. Given a choice and a time machine I would shoot the first cave man who ever pitched a bear sking on the cave floor. They are nothing but a dirt trap and a money pit trying to keep them clean. Just had my dining room and kitchen vinyl replaced, wanted to continue into the living room...Ah no, she just HAD to have new carpet. Didn't have that light colored one a year before she was agreeing with me. Will probobably have it ripped out next summer.
Things that should never be in a house. Carpet. Sliding patio doors. Wall paper (unless the one insisting on it is going to do the re-do when needed).
Harry K Harry K
says...

Well, I agree about the sliding patio doors.
Banty
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 08:12:35 -0800, Harry K wrote:

Carpet in the dining room? Ouch. We ripped up the vinyl in ours (halls and kitchen too) and put down bamboo. It turned out to be about the same price as half-decent vinyl, by the time it was all done.

Re: wall paper. Boy I guess! I had wall-paper from hell in my downstairs bathroom. The nutcase that installed it did it over an unpainted and unsized skim coat of drywall compound. What a mess. I would have been better off ripping it down to the studs and starting over. Paint still doesn't want to stick to the walls.
--
Keith

What's wrong with patio doors??

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:29:32 -0500, boubou wrote:

When it's -20F outside they tend to be pretty good heat sinks.
--
Keith

Maybe, I but I still like the view. I can sit and watch the snow fall, the animals in the woods. Mine is a Pella 8 footer.
Mine's a Valcor patio door. New home, not sure of size but I think it's at least a 6 foot door if not 7, it looks pretty big! Self cleaning glass. The view is awsome, trees, snow and birds.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:03:15 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

To be fair, I wasn't the one ragging on sliders. I certainly wouldn't put an aluminum model in a house here, but maybe a nice wood one. I think I'd rather have French doors.
Screw loooking at the snow falling. It just reminds me that I have to go out and shovel it. ;-)
--
Keith

hummm, you are right there. What if I put a heavy curtain on them for those days?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:06:00 -0500, boubou wrote:

I have heavy "insulated" drapes on all the big windows (slider, bay, and a bow), but they're only a small help. When ice is forming on the inside of the door a little cloth isn't a big deal.
--
Keith

And I hate sliding heavy stuff back and forth. (Sure, it glides sooo nicely when it's *new*...) And having access to only one side at a time.
Banty (who chucked her mirrored closet sliding doors for nice, simple bifolds)

The slider that was in my house was the builder's special cheap model. It was very difficult to open and often froze closed in very cold weather. I put the Pella in about 10+ years ago and it still opens and closes with one finger.