Carpet Tile in bathroom

Page 2 of 2

Higgs Boson wrote:

I've read all the replies to this time. When we moved into this house, (new build 27 years ago), we were hard up for cash. I was aware of all the cautions about using carpet in the bathroom but needs must. I put down an offcut from our lounge that fitted fine after trimming.
We placed a "horseshoe" mat around the pan and also bath mat, etc. which are shoved in the washing machine, normally weekly.
Having reared two male kids in the house who I hope have now flown the nest permanently, (one came back for several years), I can confirm that there are no stains or odours. The last time I lifted the carpet about 18 months ago to repaint the skirting boards (sorry, I can't recall what you call these that side of The Pond), it was in perfect condition and the floor below was as laid.
I see no reason not to use carpet.

Instead of tiles, have you considered a single piece, rubber backed rug made for bathrooms?
My parents have one in their house - have for years.
I know this because every 5 or so years Mom buys a new one and I have to cut it to fit.
I make a pattern from newspaper, flip it over, tape it to the rubber backed side, trace it and cut.
Mom (actually Dad, when Mom tells him too) takes it out a couple of times a year and washes it in one of those big machines at the laundromat and hangs it in the backyard to dry.
If SWMBO would let me have one, I'd put one in my bathrooms. It's soft and toasty on the feet.
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:45:35 -0700, Higgs Boson wrote:

Heck, get a roll of black and white "tile effect" vinyl from Home Depot for 20 bucks and put that down. It'll look "OK", wear better than carpet and last a few years until you can do something more permanent.
I did that for one of our bathrooms because it had carpet in there when we moved in, and I'm planning on gutting that room when a few billion other jobs are out of the way first...
cheers
Jules

We had W2W carpeting in the master bath in our previous house. When we ripped it up after 15 years it wasn't too gross, likely because it was the master. It was cleaner than the family room carpet, actually. I still wouldn't have it again. Tile is too cheap and easy to put up with anything else.

Our W2W carpet was indoor. I'd count in replacing it every couple of years.

Just take out the old tile and replace. Carpet is cheaper than tile?
Jim
Higgs Boson wrote:

The right kind should work.
While on a foraging expedition after Hurricane Yikes, my son and I found about 1000 sq ft of carpet tile behind a store. Evidently it got wet and the store used this as an excuse to have insurance pay for new carpeting.
This industrial/commercial carpeting sells for over $35/yd. We dried it out and used it to carpet the snack bar in the office and the library. Looks swell.